Re: [News] "Spread Open Media" Launched by OGG Vorbis Creators; MSBBC Mumbles about Linux

> ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 10 September 2007 08:17 : \____

>>> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 07 September 2007 16:30 : \____

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/06/bbc_iplayer_epetition_downing_street_mac_linux_coming/

>>> This you will not believe! The BBC site, which did not cover the protest,
>>> has just taken this BS and spun it further to make it seem like it'll be
>>> cross platform, as in XP *AND* Vista.
>>
>> You can tell that this is being written by ex-Microsoft people, they are
>> using 100% of the Microsoft tactics which we know so well.  Fortunately,
>> because we know them so well, they are easy enough to counter.
>>

>>> This is a hoax! As it stands, they don't do anything. The government says,
>>> "why do you ask *us*?" and "we agree with the Trust". The press says, "oh,
>>> well... that means that there's no issue anymore and the MSBBC will get its
>>> act together."
>>
>> Gordon Brown will be looking for votes soon, so this will become a
>> significant issue.
>
> Unless the press is used to make people (not techies) believe that Microsoft is
> benign.

It will be to a point, but not all the press is pro-Microsoft.  The FT
is merely interested in money, and has had several articles analysing
Linux and its impact on Microsoft, the Grauniad has always been very
anti-corruption.  Private Eye would be an interesting magazine to get
something into, but to date, I don't think that they have a technology
politics section.

>>> That type of spin is a fiasco! It's like Microsoft claiming victory when it
>>> lost in the ISO. Several months ago, amid another huge loss for OOXML, Brian
>>> Jones (of Microsoft) claims peaceful co-existence and someone who commented
>>> in BetaNews said that Brian pulled a Bush, as in declaring a victory amid a
>>> big disaster (Iraq's invasion followed by "we win"). *sigh*
>>>

>> It would be interesting to see what coverage the BBC has made of the
>> OOXML debates, in particular, the clearly visible corruption.
>
> None of this was covered. I watch their technology RSS feed like a hawk.

I wonder if we should investigate how to prime eg. reuters newsfeed?  It
would be interesting to prime it with news about what the BBC doesn't
cover :-)