Re: Microsoft caught red handed astroturfing (again)

High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> SuSE 8.1 was an excellent O/S. I used it for almost 4 years, until 3-4
>> months ago when my hard-drive died and I finally said goodbye to SUSE
>> (8.1 was not yet infected by the 'Novell management virus', let alone
>> the Novell branding).
>
> SuSE 6.4 was an excellent O/S.  I kept it for 4 years.  I liked things
> better when SuSE was its own company.

As did I. I much preferred it when they were an independent German company.
I recall that in one newsgroup, just after Novell bought them, that someone
said "I hope Novell don't screw up SuSE the way they have other companies
they've bought" (or something very similar to that). I mentally shrugged at
the the time, but two or three releases later I noticed that some things
*had* changed. In particular, some GNOME apps that I used in KDE needed
tweaking to their fonts & colours right...whereas they didn't before... So
I tried other distros, & the GNOME were ok in KDE without having to tweak
any colours & fonts, so why had SuSE changed.. The first release (SuSE 10.0
or 10.1 ?) with Zen was a farce IMO. That was one of the reasons I dumped
it, & used Kubuntu.

> At any rate, I'm finding Ubuntu more than satisfactory for my needs.

Yes, I find Kubuntu very good. I also have other installations which I like.
If I'm doing an install on anyone's machine, I give them a choice between
K/Ubuntu & PCLinuxOS. They can choose which they like from running the
LiveCDs. I believe Ark Linux is also good for newbies, so I may try that
for my "clients".
Over the last few years, I've installed K/Ubuntu on quite a few family &
friends machines (usually dual booting with windoze.) After a few weeks,
they've usually called me to ask if I can remove *windows* from their
machines. :-)

--
Operating systems:
FreeBSD 6.2, Debian 4.0