Re: OLPC turns to "scheme" to boost blundering sales

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 September 2007 10:25 : \____

>> ____/ John Bailo, Texeme.Construct on Monday 24 September 2007 16:39 : \____

>>> I heard Steve Jobs made an offer to Negroponte.
>>>
>>> They share similar marketing tactics.
>>
>> Yes but no. Steve offered OS X for free, but Nick declined the offer. He
>> wanted an O/S that can be explored and tone which is independent from a
>> company. He had a good plan but ugly human nature (vicious corporate greed)
>> he didn't account for. The project was on track before Intel, Microsoft, and
>> their many lobbying arms had people brainwashed and tempted to look
>> elsewhere.
>
> It will be successful, of course.  Any project which is undermining
> current business models will certainly hit massive political lobbying,
> and this one was without doubt no exception.  Still, the model is
> excellent, the prices are good, and the design is very revolutionary in
> many respects.
>
> That someone made sales predictions which were not met is hardly
> amazing.  Just look at Microsoft's predictions for sales of Vista.  If
> they can be *so* wrong, it's a little rum to criticise the OLPC project
> for predictions which are probably no more accurate.

Actually, the predication might not be so far off... they sell a lot of Vista
to a lot of shelves... or they send out a lots of "Vistas" that go right into
the bit bucket when the buyer receives the PC. S/he proceeds to installing
GNU/Linux or Windows XP.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Kernel panic - more exciting than being /.'ted
Tasks: 130 total,   1 running, 129 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie