Re: OLPC turns to "scheme" to boost blundering sales

____/ John Bailo, Texeme.Construct on Monday 24 September 2007 16:39 : \____

> On Sep 24, 7:12 am, "Sir Michael Clayton" <clay...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> http://www.smh.com.au/news/Technology/Looking-for-a-spark-developingw...
>>
>> In September 2005, he (Negroponte) was saying that 5 million to 15 million
>> machines might be in production in 2006, with perhaps 100 million out by
>> now. In April 2006 he foresaw 5 million to 10 million XOs dotting the
>> landscape in 2007.
>>
>> Now 250,000 to 300,000 are due to be made by the end of this year.
>> Negroponte expects that to ramp up to 1 million a month next year, though he
>> still lacks signed orders for that many.
>
> I heard Steve Jobs made an offer to Negroponte.
>
> They share similar marketing tactics.

Yes but no. Steve offered OS X for free, but Nick declined the offer. He wanted
an O/S that can be explored and tone which is independent from a company. He
had a good plan but ugly human nature (vicious corporate greed) he didn't
account for. The project was on track before Intel, Microsoft, and their many
lobbying arms had people brainwashed and tempted to look elsewhere.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
Tasks: 123 total,   1 running, 122 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie