[News] New GIMP and MEPIS 7.0 Approach Release; New Extensive Manuals Available

  • Subject: [News] New GIMP and MEPIS 7.0 Approach Release; New Extensive Manuals Available
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 01:03:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GIMP 2.4.0 Comes Closer To Release

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP 2.4.0 is coming soon and as a sign of that, the third release candidate
| for GIMP 2.4.0 is now available.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjA3NQ

MEPIS 7.0 Beta5: Improvements and OpenOffice 2.3

,----[ Quote ]
| Good news for MEPIS users! The MEPIS documentation team has released a new
| MEPIS User's manual under a Creative Commons License. With over 60 pages, the
| manual covers many questions from installation, to network configuration, to
| using applications.
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/14087

Related:

GIMP UI brainstorm

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a visual brainstorm, the channel for everybody to contribute to the
| GIMP UI redesign process. It is moderated by the GIMP UI redesign team. We do
| not post mock-ups here ourselves, we ‘listen’ to what you show us and broaden
| our horizons.
`----

http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/

Second Release Candidate for GIMP 2.4

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP 2.4.0-RC2 is finally there. The developers have fixed quite some bugs
| since RC1 but it's not the final thing yet.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/19770

Gimp 2.3 (preview of 2.4)

,----[ Quote ]
| The major change for this release seems to be a big usability
| overhaul. New defaults are now in place that make the Gimp look
| a little bit like Photoshop, but still has many features that
| make it unique.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2007/06/08/gimp-23-preview-of-24/

Gimp 2.4 RC Released

,----[ Quote ]
| If you want to help by testing this release candidate, you can grab the
| source code from ftp.gimp.org.
`----

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/aug/16/gimp_2_4_rc_released

ingimp: improving the usability of the GIMP by collecting and analyzing usage
data

,----[ Quote ]
| ingimp is an instrumented version of the GNU Image Manipulation Program that
| collects real-time usability data, such as the commands used, the size of
| images worked on, and so on. This usability data is automatically transmitted
| to ingimp for anyone to download and analyze.
`----

http://debaday.debian.net/2007/07/22/ingimp-improving-the-usability-of-the-gimp-by-collecting-and-analyzing-usage-data/

Instrumented GIMP To Identify Usability Flaws

| New users of the GIMP often become frustrated at the application's unwieldy
| user interface. Now Prof. Michael Terry and a group of researchers at the
| University of Waterloo have created ingimp, a modified version of the GIMP
| that collects real-time usability data in order to help the GIMP developers
| find and fix its usability problems.
`----

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07%2F07%2F10%2F1817230

Linux VS Windows usability.

,----[ Quote ]
| It all boils down to knowing what you are doing. Trying to do anything
| without the required knowledge is hard and the professionals make everything
| look easy. I would say that in terms of usability Linux has the upper hand.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/linux-vs-windows-usability-17472

KDE 4.0 Beta 1 w/ MEPIS

,----[ Quote ]
| The first beta of KDE 4.0 was released earlier this month and Warren Woodford
| of the MEPIS project has now built a version of SimplyMEPIS 7 that is based
| upon Debian Etch with the 32-bit and 64-bit KDE 4.0 Beta 1 packages.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=805&num=1

MEPIS releases KDE 4 Beta 1 Live DVDs

,----[ Quote ]
| In a statement, Jos Poortvliet of the KDE Project said, "The KDE project is
| happy to see MEPIS Linux leading the way in bringing the next-generation
| desktop technology to their users. This decision of early adoption of KDE 4
| by the MEPIS developers will ensure a premier KDE experience for the users.
| We hope KDE 4 will be appreciated, and we look forward to the constructive
| comments from the MEPIS community."

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 - A Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been very impressed by the entire SimplyMEPIS 6.5 operating
| system. It was probably the best install experience I have ever had,
|  offers great response, and has an enjoyable interface. Personally,
| I feel that this has been my best KDE experience thus far, even with
| my previous use of PCLinuxOS 2007. You may not hear too much about
| MEPIS when it comes to Linux news sites, but there is definitely a
| good reason why there are so many users.
`----

http://shiftbackspace.com/2007/06/15/simplemepis-65-a-review/

A first look at SimplyMEPIS 6.5

,----[ Quote ]
| The final of SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is now out. You can either buy a
| subscription to the distribution from the SimplyMEPIS store or
| download a copy from one of the MEPIS mirrors.
`----

http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT6383341657.html

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 Release Candidate 2 [screenshots]

,----[ Quote ]
| The second release candidate for SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is now
| available. SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC2 replaces QtParted with
| GParted, improvements to the MEPIS Xconfig assistant,
| and a fair amount of other changes beyond the original
| release candidate. SimplyMEPIS is another Ubuntu-based
| distribution.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=667&num=1

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC3 adds Beryl 0.2.0 Final and Installer Translations

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC3 has been uploaded to the MEPIS subscribers
| pool and propagated to the public mirrors.
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/13211

Review: SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC1

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is definitely the coolest distribution I have
| reviewed so far. The eye candy is very sweet indeed, but more over
| it is put together well and simply works. I also like the fact
| it uses KDE instead of GNOME, but mainly for personal preference.
`----

http://www.triedit.org/review/review-simplymepis-65-rc1/

MEPIS founder clarifies MEPIS/Ubuntu relationship

,----[ Quote ]
| Woodford [MEPIS]: Again it's a matter of what you mean by those words.
| Mark [Shuttleworth] and I talked it over before I switched to Ubuntu.
| He's clear that MEPIS is an independent distro. And yet, it is fair
| to say on the Ubuntu site that MEPIS is a derivative of Ubuntu,
| from the point of view that we use the Ubuntu packages. And we
| use them by choice, because they meet our needs and they're
| the best available. That reference at the Ubuntu site says
| that we endorse Ubuntu, and we do.

SaxenOS and SimplyMEPIS - bumps in the middle of the road

,----[ Quote ]
| SaxenOS 2.0 Beta 1
|
| [...]
|
| I've always liked STX and can say I believe I like SaxenOS even better.
| It's still wonderful for older hardware and now with 2.0 it is easier
| to install and use. It's always fast, stable, and fairly complete. I
| feel like the version bump perhaps should have come at the beginning
| of this development cycle due to the massive interface changes, so
| it is definitely justified now.
|
| [...]
|
| SimplyMEPIS 6.5 Beta 5
|
| [...]
|
| Despite KDE still being version 3.5.3 and much of the same software
| is offered, the updated look and feel as well as the X server and
| promise of Beryl does seem to justify a version bump mid-cycle
| for SimplyMEPIS.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070219#review

Simply Mepis 6.0-4 Beta 4 -- A gift from the MEPIS gods 64 Bit that actually
works

,----[ Quote ]
| To quote myself, something I never do, "I will be back for the 64 bit
| when available however, as I am still waiting on a distro that will
| uncork my boat anchor." Well, guess what folks? I am happy to say
| that MEPIS is now my default system and I am happy to be running 64
| bit on my not so much of a boat anchor laptop.
`----

http://knolinux.com/2007/01/29/simply-mepis-604-beta.aspx

TestDriving SimplyMepis 6.0-4 Beta 2

,----[ Quote ]
| The playing field is a bit more competitive these days, but
| SimplyMepis is still a very good choice for newcomers and
| experienced alike. They paved the way for many of today's
| distros in many areas and I'd like to see them reach a higher
| level of popularity again. Perhaps this release will help. Time
| will tell.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/12399

Debian-based MEPIS Linux distros move closer to shipment

,----[ Quote ]
| MEPIS has released Beta3 of SimplyMEPIS 7.0, its full-featured Debian-based
| Linux, and Beta 2 of MEPIS AntiX (pronounced "Antics"), which is designed to
| run on very old 32-bit PC hardware.

Etch-based MEPIS 7.0 beta ISOs arrive

,----[ Quote ]