Re: [News] Ubuntu Linux Has Mastered Hype, Blind Acceptance

____/ Ian Hilliard on Sunday 23 September 2007 20:42 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Educating GNU/Linux users
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | More – if you know more than somebody, as Ubuntu’s developers obviously
>> | do, you have an obligation to give them the opportunity. To do otherwise
>> | is to dismiss the average person as willfully ignorant. Possibly, I’m
>> | naive, but I’m not quite ready to regard others that way.
>> |
>> | Anyway, which came first: operating systems like Windows that prevent
>> | people from learning about their computers, or users who were fixated on
>> | accomplishing specific tasks. If computer users are task-oriented, at
>> | least some of the time, the reason could be that they’re conditioned to
>> | be so. Perhaps they’ve learned from Windows that prying into the inner
>> | workings of their computer is awkward and difficult. We don’t really
>> | know how many users will want to learn more, given the opportunity.
>> `----
>>
>> http://brucebyfield.wordpress.com/2007/09/22/educating-gnulinux-users/
>>

> I don't know why you're going after Ubuntu now. Ubuntu is not as easy to set
> up as some other distros, but it is rock solid and works quite well.
>
> I believe the reason that Ubuntu is so popular is because it has a great
> support community. Nearly every problem I had could be solved by doing a
> search on the Ubuntu wiki. The only problem I had to solve myself was
> getting the scanner running. I still don't see how to make a wiki entry for
> it so that someone else doesn't have the problems that I had.
>
> It was the community support that built DOS and Windows. Now it is building
> Ubuntu. I see no problem with it. If someone makes money out of it, I have
> no issue with that either. I only have an issue with companies making their
> money by screwing their customers. Of course, that really only works when
> you have a monopoly.
>
> The nice thing about Linux is that you don't have to use a particular
> distro, if you don't like it. There are hundreds of others.

I'm not going against it at all. Au contraire -- I use it at work. It's
the "blind acceptance" bit that ought to be raised and emphasised because
Ubuntu might not stay at the top forever and it sometimes fails to acknowledge
GNU/Linux, which leads to 'branding' issues (also tagging/indexing for
search).

I actually find myself defending Ubuntu a lot when people attack it viciously
for stealing the thunder of other distros.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | BadVista? I guess it makes Vista a dog.
Tasks: 120 total,   1 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie