[News] Proof That Money is Made Using Free Software Paradigms

Australia’s first Open Source Census published

,----[ Quote ]
| Results of Australia’s first large-scale Open Source community census have
| been released to the public.
|
| [...]
|
| Open Source was suggested as an export avenue to offset a part of the trade
| deficit. Currently, 45 percent of the open source industry service export
| markets, generating revenue of $60 million, the report says.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/73600,australia%E2%80%99s-first-open-source-census-published.aspx

Wanted, Dead or Alive: Open Source Monetization

,----[ Quote ]
| While I was retching my heart out one of the commenters brought up the idea
| of "bounties" as a business model for open source development. Many readers
| are familiar with this idea. It's a simple idea: Alice wants a new feature in
| OpenOffice and offers $50 if it appears in the next release. Bob wants that
| feature as well and adds a $50 promise of his own. Candice thinks it is worth
| $100 to do the work so she does, submits the patch, and collects $100.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/4/9/39155

Yesterday:

FOSS Factory Inc. Announces $25,000 Prize for Free/Open Source Software
Development

,----[ Quote ]