Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Lobbyist Threatens Governments That Choose ODF

____/ [H]omer on Thursday 10 April 2008 11:25 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> |     "If a government enforces [use of just one standard], that
>> |      would mean the whole country is not allowed to use OpenXML.
>> |      Then, they could get into a very difficult legal situation
>> |      as they can be challenged legally," opinioned van den Beld.
>> `----
>
> That's quite a spin, isn't it?
>
> Since when is mandating the use of an /Open Standard/ tantamount to
> tortuous interference with business? Microsoft are just as free to use
> ODF as any other vendor. Why would that inhibit their business? Why, in
> fact, is the OOXML format required at *all*? That's the /real/ question.
>
> What van den Beld /really/ means, of course, is that by not promoting
> the use of OOXML, governments would inhibit Microsoft's ability to
> maintain its monopoly on office software through the use of its pseudo
> "open" standard, that can only be properly implemented in MS Office.
>
> Every day these MS goons stoop to ever-more palpable and despicable
> corruption.

In this case he wears an 'independent' hat (while paid by Microsoft
indirectly). He also travelled around the world to lobby MBA-types to change
votes (and not on technical grounds). For all I can see he is a greedy man
without a soul. He makes me (as well as many others) feel sick.

Don't miss this one from the OP:

Multiple Standards according to ECMA

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: Why do you want to have 5 [DVD related] formats? Do you still call that
| standardization?
| A [van den Beld]: You are well paid. Shut up
|
| Check out the video at 4:10 and amaze yourself!
|
| This was on Microsoft Techdays 2008, in Portugal.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-49659/multiple-standards-according-to-ecma

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: penguins are the greatest birds
Tasks: 119 total,   1 running, 117 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie