[News] Moving Almost Half a Million Machines to GNU/Linux Saves Brazil Millions

Linux Voting Machines Save US$ 8 Millions in Brazil

,----[ Quote ]
| Brazilian Goverment will save US$ 8 Millions in election between 2008 and
| 2018. The economy is due to the use of Linux in the eletronic voting
| machines, made by Procomp-Diebold,
`----

http://www.brnews.info/index.php/2008/04/06/linux-voting-machines-save-us-8-milions-in-brazil/

Days ago:

The brazilian Election Supreme Court migrates 430 thousand voting machines to
GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The brazilian Election Supreme Court announced at April 4th 2008, that the
| 2008 elections at Brazil will use GNU / Linux electronic voting machines with
| software digital authentication.
|
| The Tribunal Superior Eleitoral (the brazilian Election Supreme Court),
| officially announced on April 4th, 2008, that the brazilian 2008 elections
| will use 430 thousand electronic voting machines migrated from VirtuOS and
| Windows CE to GNU / Linux and open source softwares for security and auditing
| defined by proper law.
`----

http://techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/tse_migrates_to_linux

Related:

Microsoft Muscles the NYS Legislature

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://nyvv.org/blog/bolipariblog.html

,----[ Quote ]
| Problems found in an audit of Diebold tabulation records from an Ohio
| November 2006 election raise questions about whether the database got
| corrupted during the tabulation of election results...
|
| The database is built from Microsoft's Jet database engine. The
| engine, according to Microsoft, is vulnerable to corruption when a lot
| of concurrent activity is happening with the database, such as what
| occurs on an election night [and Microsoft advises againt using Jet in
| a complex environment]...
|
| The report mentions that election staff had trouble with the server
| crashing and freezing on election night....
|
| The report notes that with punch card machines election officials used
| to be able to determine definitively if all ballots had been counted
| in the results....
`----

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/04/diebold_vote_da.html

S.F. supervisors' panel backs Sequoia voting machines

,----[ Quote ]
| Such so-called open-source code would allow for public scrutiny of the
|                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| accuracy of the equipment and act as a guard against tampering with
| elections. The problem is, no company sells open-source systems, citing
| concerns about giving away their technology to competitors.
|
| [...]
|
| The contract also mandates that Sequoia switch to open-source code within a
|                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| year if another company brings such a product to the market. Supervisor Tom
| Ammiano, who sits on the committee, also recommended the creation of a task
| force to evaluate the city's options in the future, including whether San
| Francisco could create, manufacture and sell its own voting technology.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/06/BAQ5TOSG7.DTL

E-voting vendor succumbs to California source code demands

,----[ Quote ]
| "... there are serious concerns regarding the motivations and apparent
| personal agendas of a number of the currently proposed examiners," ES&S
| exec StevenPearson wrote in a letter agreeing to turn over the source
| code.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/28/evoting_source_code_disclosure/

John Edwards supports "open source" for voting systems

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.freepress.org/departments/display/19/2007/2662#3258828628252476494