[News] Open Hardware with the GNU GPL: RepRap and PHEVs

Open source 3D printer copies itself

,----[ Quote ]
| Accordingly, the RepRap machine is distributed, at no cost, under the GNU
| (General Public Licence).
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/2F5C3C5D68A380EDCC257423006E71CD

Open Hardware and PHEVs

| Though I have my doubts, PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles) may be on
| the same track towards open hardware we are seeing in some computer
| components and devices. Be warned, however, the effort is grounded in
| marketing and survival instincts that just might not suffice to become a
| success. Although use of open source is established for use in PHEV, the same
| cannot be said of the hardware components.
|
| [...]
|
| We already know that the PHEV converters are well along on the free/open
| source side on computer code and electric schematics. On the computer side
| FLOSS is well established even as profitable businesses. Free, open designs
| for hardware and now hand sets are at the early stages where the designs and
| the advances are shared. In 2005 McNealy announced the opening of Sun's
| UltraSPARC describing as similar to the model used to distribute Linux.
`----

http://bst-softwaredevs.com/e&e/articles/PHEV-Open-hardware.html

Recent

DIY Robotics: The Rise of Open Source Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Holman's not the only one hacking hardware. The hardware-hacking trend,
| perhaps exemplified best by O'Reilly's Make magazine and wildly successful
| Maker Faire, is one of the dominating themes of this year's conference.
| Geeks, accustomed to being able to use and modify open source software like
| Linux without restriction, are adopting the same attitude with respect to
| consumer electronics devices, whether those devices are freely hackable, like
| the forthcoming Google-backed Android operating system for phones, or more
| locked down, like Apple's iPhone.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/news/2008/03/etech_hardware

Bug Labs Founder: Sold Out Of Open-Source Mobile Gadgets

,----[ Quote ]
| We stopped by Bug Labs' Flatiron headquarters tonight, where founder Peter
| Semmelhack told us he's sold out of the first batch of the "Bug," his
| startup's open-source wireless device. Want one? Get in line. The next
| shipment is scheduled for May.
`----

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/3/bug_labs_founder_sold_out_of_open_source_mobile_devices

Related:

Open Source Hardware Gift Guide

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source 3D printers, TV-turn-off devices, iPod chargers, music players,
| wi-fi companions, educational electronic kits, and more! Let's get gifting!
`----

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/12/open_source_hardware_gift.html

Open source hardware comes out of closet

,----[ Quote ]
| EVER SINCE open-source software created a buzz, people have stroked chins,
| pondered and pontificated about the possibility of open-source hardware – and
| now it’s becoming a reality.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/open-source-hardware-coming

The Future of Hardware is Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Hardware is the future of technology, and all we need to kick off this
| next great revolution in technology is to have the right tools in the right
| place at the right time.  After that, the sky’s the limit!
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=315

Open Source Hardware: Birth Of A Long Tail Market?

,----[ Quote ]
| And when there is unrestricted collaboration, nearly anything is possible.
| Buglabs, the open source hardware movement and other yet-to-be discovered
| frontiers have the same opportunity here.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3700366

Do we need an open hardware license?

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, Hicks says that it's possible to use open source hardware designs with
| field-programmable gate arrays, "which are quite affordable," and points to
| OpenSPARC and the OPENCORES community of open hardware designers as examples
| of real-world usage of open hardware.
|
| Phipps says that he sees open hardware following in the footsteps of FOSS,
| though he says mainstreaming of open hardware "will take much longer ... to
| get a foothold."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118198

Perens set to tackle open-source hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| On Monday, Perens plans to announce the TAPR Open Hardware
| License, a document written by John Ackerman designed
| specifically to govern hardware designs that can be
| modified and redistrubuted. Perens plans to submit the
| license to the Open Source Initiative for its as an
| open-source license.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6156093.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/2noydh

Boot Linux Faster With An Open BIOS

| Another interesting approach involves using Linux itself to initialize the
| hardware. The LinuxBIOS takes the approach of loading a small Linux kernel
| directly into the boot ROM. This approach is increasingly practical now that
| boards have 1-2MB of flash ROM onboard, according to Seebach.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/knitter/2007/10/08/boot-linux-faster-with-an-open-bios

First desktop motherboard supported by LinuxBIOS: GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4

,----[ Quote ]
| The GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4 [1] is the first-ever desktop motherboard
| supported by a Free & Open Source BIOS, thanks to AMD engineer
| Yinghai Lu who released GPL-licensed code last month.
`----

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0702.2/2347.html

LinuxBIOS: The Forgotten Hero

,----[ Quote ]
| This begs the question: is anyone currently using LinuxBIOS on
| their machines? You bet they are. According to one recent report,
| LinuxBIOS was installed on about one million machines and that
| existing number is expected to rise significantly, assuming the
| rate of growth remains constant.
`----

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7694

Google Sponsors the LinuxBIOS project

,----[ Quote ]
| The LinuxBIOS project aims to take down the last barrier in Open
| Source systems by providing a free firmware (BIOS) implementation.
`----

http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=31343

LinuxBIOS ready to go mainstream

,----[ Quote ]