[News] LogFS Comes to Linux; Linux Driver Project Status Report

LogFS, A Scalable Flash Filesystem

,----[ Quote ]
| Jörn Engel posted the sixth version of patches introducing his new LogFS
| filesystem for flash devices to the Linux kernel. He highlighted some areas
| of the code that need some more work, and cc'd the appropriate people for
| further review. Regarding LogFS itself, he noted that one of its big
| advantages compared to other solutions was improved mount time and reduced
| memory consumption compared to other solutions,
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/LogFS_A_Scalable_Flash_Filesystem

Linux Driver Project Status Report as of April 2008

http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/linux_driver_project_status-2008-04.html

Last week:

Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation (LF) has published a study on Linux mainline kernel
| development. According to LF, the number of Linux kernel developers has
| tripled since 2005, with many more companies contributing to the process
| (including, potentially, the latest new LF member, Adobe).

LogFS: A new way of thinking about flash filesystems

,----[ Quote ]
| Storage manufacturers are getting ready to start shipping solid state
| disks, and Linux-based devices like One Laptop per Child's XO and
| Intel's Classmate don't contain standard hard disks.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/11/2017200&from=rss

Linux: LogFS, A New Flash Filesystem

,----[ Quote ]
| In contrast, Jorn compared his new LogFS, "LogFS has an on-medium
| tree, fairly similar to Ext2 in structure, so mount times are O(1).
| In absolute terms, the OLPC system has mount times of ~3.3s for
| JFFS2 and ~60ms for LogFS."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/8159

Linux device driver project needs more unsupported devices to work on!

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that even though Kroah-Hartman and his developers are willing
| to sign NDAs (nondisclosure agreements) for companies that are reluctant to
| open up their devices to open source, businesses are still hanging
| back. "What we need now is more companies participating in the project,"
| Kroah-Hartman said.
|
| [...]
|
| He also wondered if the problem of Linux device drivers has been
| overstated...

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
| all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
| that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
| than Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| Adding insult to injury, since DRM protection schemes must
| evolve constantly, to stay ahead of hackers tearing them down,
| I have little doubt that one day you'll come home to find that
| a Vista update to DRM-protection has just locked you out of your
| media collection. You know, the same collection, which had
| worked just fine the day before. Repeat after me: DRM does
| not belong in operating systems.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

Free Linux Driver Development!