[News] More Intellectual Monopoly Insanity; Nicolas 'Microsoft' Sarkozy Law Snunned

  • Subject: [News] More Intellectual Monopoly Insanity; Nicolas 'Microsoft' Sarkozy Law Snunned
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:22:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Lawsuit Claim: Students' Lecture Notes Infringe on Professor's Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| But James Sullivan, Faulkner Press' attorney, says the suit isn't about money
| for the professors, it's about protecting its intellectual property.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/04/prof-sues-note.html

Sweden Rejects Sarkozy’s War on File Sharing

,----[ Quote ]
| French President Nicolas Sarkozy wants to disconnect European file sharers
| from the Internet. The idea is already in the process of being realized in
| France, and will according to Sarkozy be a step toward “a civilized Internet”
| where ISPs watch the information that their customers exchange.
`----

http://sigfridinenglish.wordpress.com/2008/04/06/sweden-rejects-sarkozys-war-on-file-sharing/

Last week:

Sarkozy intervenes in France to revert the OOXML position

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-50670/sarkozy-intervenes-in-france-to-revert-the-ooxml-position

| [Nicolas] Sarkozy and his family have been vacationing at
| a lakefront estate in Wolfeboro owned by former Microsoft Corp. executive
| Michael Appe.
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20137506/

Fran Nevrkla Identifies a Copyright Gap

,----[ Quote ]
| The support for Commissioner McCreevy came from the French President Nicolas
| Sarkozy. Soon after taking office, he set up a commission, led by the head of
| the major retail chain FNAC, to look into copyright and the creative
| industries. Alongside recommendations on ISP responsibility, the commission
| proposed extending copyright and this will be on the agenda when the French
| Government assumes the Presidency of the European Union in July this year.
`----

http://blog.copyrightalliance.org/blog/Fran-Nevrkla-Identifies-a-Copyright-Gap

Is Sarko Uxorious?

,----[ Quote ]
| What this neglects to take into account is the fact that falling into the
| public domain is a gain for the public - and hence the actual moment when it
| becomes part of the "national pop heritage" - and that the gain vastly
| outweighs any minimal effect it has on ageing rockers' royalties.
| Unfortunately, with this action, as with others (including the "three strikes
| and you're out" approach to fighting filesharing), Sarkozy shows himself to
| be an old man - however young his new wife may be.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/is-sarko-uxorious.html

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
| science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
| and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

France set to experience a revolution in public broadcast television

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/101533/from/rss09