Re: [News] Vista and Leopard Defeated, GNU/Linux Wins "Most Secure" Crown

____/ Sinister Midget on Friday 04 April 2008 07:19 : \____

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9074102

>>> ""Shane's [Macauley] exploit ***WOULD*** have worked on Linux. He could
>>> have knocked it over. But [the contestants] get a lot more mileage out of
>>> attacks on the Mac or Windows," she continued."
>>
>> There you are.  "Linux is both insecure and not often used"
>> is the implication here.
>>
>> +2 points for Ezekiel, -1 for Jim Richardson for not
>> noticing this obvious trap. ;-)
>>
>> (To be fair, the flaw was in Adobe's Flash player.
>> However, that makes it not Microsoft's problem, but Linux's
>> fault, according to the standard logic around here.)
>>
>> I concur with you, however; the exploit would have easily
>> worked, allowing a hacker to gain user-level access.
>
> And /you/ fell for that trap.
>
> Who is quoting whom? If you read the entire paragraaph it shows that
> being a quote of a person named Forslof. Forslof isn't the author of
> the exploit. I know what the article says about her, but not knowing
> her credentials I can't be sure she's expressing more than an opinion.
> The title whe isn't a surety that she knows what she's pretending to
> know in this instance.
>
> In any event, the person who exploited Winders, Shane Macaulay, did
> *not* utter the words of certainty, as Erik's tap-dance is supposed to
> have us believe. Instead, he's hearing
>
> HIS MASTER'S VOICE
>                          ()._
>               _.--.     (##)_`-.     "LINUX WOULD BE EXPLOITED BY THE
>              /   . ``u  (##), ` `.    SAME BUG"
>              \__)   _/  (##),--.  \
>               | --'     ()'    \  \   "WE SOLD MORE COPIES OF VISTA
>                /   |             | |   THAN THERE ARE PEOPLE ON EARTH"
>              ,'     \          _,' /
>            ,'       |        ,;--//   "WINDOWS IS CHEAPER THAN LINUX"
>           / ___\  |/      ___V__{(_
>          | '   \| ||    ,'-===- `,'|  "SECURITY IS BINARY"
> gnv (,'                 ool

Microsoft views us all as dogs? I thought Bill Gates said we were spidermonkeys
(or have, on average, the brain capacity of one). Oh, wait...

"We will never make a 32-bit operating system."

   -- Bill Gates, At the launch of MSX

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
 10:05:01 up 15 days, 21:14,  4 users,  load average: 1.00, 0.98, 1.22