[News] Brussels Parliament Considers Increase of Free Software Deployments

BE: French parliament Brussels considering more Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The French-speaking Brussels Parliament (PFB) is considering to increase its
| use of Open Source, said Joël Tournemenne, director of the parliament's IT
| department, without giving more details.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7550

Recent:

Photos: Prince of Belgium visits Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| As home to the European Commission, Belgium has primarily been linked to
| Microsoft through the various antitrust investigations into the company's
| business practices. There was no direct mention of those issues in the public
| remarks by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer after he met with Prince Philippe and
| Belgian officials. Speaking to a large group of Belgian media, Ballmer said
| they discussed the tech industry in Belgium and the possibility of "extended
| collaboration" between Microsoft and Belgian companies, in areas including
| health-care technology. Ballmer cited the possibility of a follow-up
| discussion when he visits Brussels in April.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/133932.asp?source=rss

Related:

Gates blackmailed Danish government

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft boss Bill Gates threatened to kill 800 Danish jobs if
| Denmark opposed the European Computer Implemented Inventions
| Directive, reports today's Danish financial daily Børsen,
| quoted by NoSoftwarePatents.com.
`----

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/02162005a.php

Belgium Government Deploys IONA's Open Source FUSE(TM) ESB

,----[ Quote ]
| The system which was developed with ETNIC, the information technology agency
| of the Belgium French community, is using IONA's FUSE ESB (Enterprise Service
| Bus) to integrate the multiple applications, servers and databases to
| facilitate real-time registration and validation of over one million student
| records.
`----

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/880269/

Intalio's open source suite used for Belgium schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Intalio Inc. said Monday its open source business process management suite
| has been deployed by the Belgium Ministry of Education to manage more than
| one million student records.
`----

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2007/09/17/daily6.html

Mandriva Shows Off 3D Linux Graphics, Opens Benelux Unit

,----[ Quote ]
| In a separate announcement, Mandriva also said last week that it has
| established a company in Belgium called Mandriva Benelux that will be the
| sole means of distributing and supporting Mandriva Linux in Belgium, the
| Netherlands, and Luxembourg. The new unit will be able to ink its own OEM
| agreements to get Mandriva Linux distributed in the region, and will work
| with local educational institutions and governments to spur the adoption of
| Linux and open source software in those three countries. Mandriva's various
| Linux distributions are available in 80 languages and in 140 countries
| through a combination of direct and indirect channels.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb090407-story06.html

Adult coaching in Open Source in Belgium

,----[ Quote ]
| Our school has always maintained high standards and is proud to
| present itself as the only school in Belgium where beginners and
| experts can learn Linux.
|
| Subjects include Linux Initiation, Sendmail, Samba, Apache, PHP.
| Of course we do not forget OpenOffice.org, Firefox,
| Evolution/Kmail or Thunderbird.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9377.html

Governments slammed for anti-competitive software tendering practices

,----[ Quote ]
| A leading Australian open source advocate has called for an end for to
| tender lock-outs of competitors to Microsoft, claiming the practice
| is costing Australian taxpayers tens of millions of dollars each
| year.

Feds revise IT procurement model

,----[ Quote ]
`----