[News] Eastern District of Texas the Rocket Docket for Algorithm Police

Desire2Pod Cast 18 - East Texas Law School Lecture

,----[ Quote ]
| 9:10 - How did the Eastern District of Texas come to be known as the Rocket
| Docket for patent cases?
|
| 12:00 - Michael's take on whether software should be patentable in the first
| place.
`----

http://desire2blog.blogspot.com/2008/04/desire2pod-cast-18-east-texas-law.html

i2 sale could hinge on patent fight with SAP

,----[ Quote ]
| I2 alleges that the German enterprise software giant infringed seven of its
| patents related to supply-chain management. A preliminary hearing on the
| claim is scheduled for April 30 in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern
| District of Texas.
`----

http://www.techconfidential.com/money-out/blog/software/involved-in-a-strategic-review.php

Europe has not been corrupted, yet:

WIPO Director General Candidates Answer 5 Questions On IP Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| And here we come to a major obstacle of a global scope: many arguments either
| in favour, or against the intellectual property regime are heavily plagued by
| lack of sufficient professional understanding. This problem extends well
| beyond the discussions about Development Agenda, and often leads to
| contradicting outcomes. The rejection of the EU Directive on patentability of
| computer-implemented inventions in 2005 may serve as an example: its basic
| purpose was to exclude software as such from patent protection (in line with
| Art. 52 of the European Patent Convention) - exactly what was the main
| objective of all those who (successfully) lobbied against its adoption in the
| European Parliament.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=955

Related:

SA minister slams software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| In a taped address for the Idlelo 3 conference, Fraser-Moleketi said
| that “open standards are a critical factor in building interoperable systems
| that are important to governments … In South African we have a document - the
| minimum interoperability standards - which includes the use of open document
| format or ODF.”
|
| Fraser-Moleketi pointed out that ODF was adopted as an ISO standard in 2006.
| She said that it was “unfortunate that the leading vendor of proprietary
| office software, which enjoys considerable dominance in the market, chose not
| to participate and support ODF in its products but rather to develop its own
| competing document standard, which is now also awaiting judgement in the ISO
| process.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2304

When Patents Threaten Science

,----[ Quote ]
| Patents should not be used to protect laws of nature, products of
| nature, or mathematical formulas.
`----

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/314/5804/1395

Trend Micro patent claim provokes FOSS community, leads to boycott

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/126851