[News] Bulgaria Considers/Leans Towards Free Software

BG: Bulgaria to review its IT strategy, considers Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Bulgarian government organised a meeting with Open Source companies and
| developers on 21 March in Sofia. Nikolay Vassilev, the minister for State
| Administration, told the representatives of software companies, IT services
| companies and Open Source developers that the government is about to review
| the state's IT system and that it wants to get a better understanding of Open
| Source software. The minister admitted he had once worked with Apple
| Macintosh, but had in the last thirteen years only experienced Microsoft
| applications. He told the Open Source advocates he would listen to their
| views on IT: "We have an open mind and will accept reasonable propositions."
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7548

Related:

Bulgaria's open administration

,----[ Quote ]
| In France, government agency ATICA has supported the use of open software in
| the French public sector. In a special report to the French prime minister,
| the agency provided an action plan and the requirements for open standards.
| One of the six priorities was the use of open software in the public
| administration. Denmark installed StarOffice in its education system, and in
| addition the program was installed in the homes of students. In Spain, the
| senate, the council for nuclear security, the interior ministry and the
| justice ministry have used server applications with open code. These
| examples, however, are only about separate public structures.
`----

http://www.sofiaecho.com/article/bulgarias-open-administration/id_27087/catid_23

Sofia, Bulgaria: FLOSSWorld Workshop on Free and Open Source Software Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| Professor Ivan Evgueniev at the Technical University of Sofia presented
| the FP6 Open Trusted Computing project, professor Vencislav Trifonov
| also at the Technical University of Sofia presented their e-learning
| system, Mircho Mirev elaborated the activities of the Bulgarian free
| and open source software community through the Linux for Bulgarians
| portal with over 5.000 hits per day.
`----

http://www.metamorphosis.org.mk/content/view/877/4/lang,en/

President praises Open Source conference in Sofia

,----[ Quote ]
| Topics include a presentation on how to configure a thin client
| infrastructure using the Linux Terminal Server Project, an outline on FreeBSD
| and its new network and transport protocols and a discussion on the uses of
| the Cluster File system.
`----

http://www.socialniprava.info/article1894.html

European spend on open source software hits 22 billion Euros

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7850