[News] FSFE, IBM, FFII and Others Protest Against ISOsoft's Fiasco

FSFE concerned about quality of standardisation process

,----[ Quote ]
| Today the International Standards Organisation (ISO) approved
| Microsoft's Office OpenXML format as ISO/IEC standard 29500 despite
| severe technical and legal concerns with the specification that have
| been raised by various parties.
|
| "FSFE published its 'Six questions to national standardisation bodies'
| before the September 2nd vote last year. [1] Considering the statements
| about progress made on MS-OOXML, one would have hoped that at least one
| of these questions enjoyed a satisfactory response," states FSFE's
| German Deputy country coordinator Matthias Kirschner.
`----

http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/press-release/2008q2/000206.html

ODF Alliance Statement on the ISO Vote on OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| The ISO vote on OOXML has raised awareness at the highest levels of
| government of the importance of preserving access to public information and
| records. For too long, this information has been locked into the closed,
| proprietary format controlled by a single vendor. This is increasingly
| unacceptable. For this reason, governments around the world have been
| adopting the already-ISO approved OpenDocument Format (ODF).
`----

http://www.odfalliance.org/blog/index.php/site/odf_alliance_statement_on_the_iso_vote_on_ooxml/

Benjamin Henrion (FFII):

Press Release: ISO captured by vendor Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| ISO members failed to disapprove the Open XML format. Microsoft has
| compromised the International Standards Organisation (ISO) during the rush to
| get a stamp for their Office OpenXML (OOXML), using unfair practices such as
| committee stuffing in several countries and political interventions of
| ministers in the standardization process.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-50857/press-release:iso-captured-by-vendor-microsoft

BRM Blowback (and ISO Press Release)

,----[ Quote ]
| In order for the credibility of the traditional system to be restored, a
| thorough review of the just completed DIS 29500 Fast Track process should be
| immediately commissioned. That review should include recommendations for
| reform that would include, but not be limited to, suggesting revisions to the
| rules relating to Fast Track and PAS submissions, new National Body and
| ISO/IEC JTC1 rules relating to transparency and conflicts of interest, and
| providing for circuit breakers and corrective actions that could be invoked
| the next time such a process has clearly run off the rails.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20080401143731630

New Paths in Standardization

,----[ Quote ]
| The world should be pleased to note, that with the approval of ISO/IEC 29500,
| Microsoft's Vector Markup Language (VML), after failing to be approved by the
| W3C in 1998 and after being neglected for the better part of a decade, is now
| also ISO-approved. Thus VML becomes the first and only standard that
| Microsoft Internet Explorer fully supports.
|
| [...]
|
| Open HTML, anyone?
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/04/new-paths-in-standardization.html

IBM: "The need for truly open standards and processes is demonstrably more
important than ever. IBM will continue to be an active supporter of ODF. We
look forward to being part of the community that works to harmonize ODF and
OOXML for the sake of consumers, companies and governments, when OOXML control
and maintenance is fully transferred to JTC1 (ISO/IEC)."

Related:

Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

,----[ Quote ]
| A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
| WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
| says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
|
| [...]
|
| In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
| JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
| have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
| get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
| AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107/martin-bryan:we-are-getting-standardization-by-corporation

Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2007/12/dysfunctional-iso-courtesy-of-microsoft.html