[News] MySQL at Risk (Opportunity) of Forking, PostgreSQL Discussed

Will MySQL Keep Lighting up LAMP?

,----[ Quote ]
| There was nothing subtle about this concern. During his keynote address,
| Mickos was asked by an audience member if Sun/MySQL was still committing to
| keeping Linux as one of its prime operating systems. Mickos replied that
| Sun/MySQL was "still committed to Linux." After all, Mickos added, "If we
| aren't committed, then any one of you can take the MySQL code and fork it to
| make a new MySQL product, which I am sure you would do if Sun tried to
| convert LAMP to SAMP."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/041708-will-mysql-keep-lighting-up.html

What MySQL Can Learn from PostgreSQL

,----[ Quote ]
| Changing the model of MySQL must happen for Sun to justify spending the
| money.
`----

http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2008/04/17/what-mysql-can-learn-from-postgresql

Recent:

MySQL reserves features for paying customers; open-source community up in arms

,----[ Quote ]
| Officials at Sun Microsystems Inc., which acquired MySQL in February,
| confirmed that new online backup capabilities now under development will be
| offered only to MySQL Enterprise customers — not to the much larger number of
| users of the free MySQL Community edition.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9078358

MySQL and "commercial extensions:" Core, complements, and semantics

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9920944-16.html