Re: [News] GNU/Linux for Web Surfers a Success

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 18 April 2008 00:37 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
> <brick.n.straw@xxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:51:56 -0400
> <5whwzzqqo7mg.16ca9p5npjdg1.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:03:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>

>>> I agree entirely. That indeed comes to show that Linux is not a problem at
>>> all.
>>
>> Tell that to 65+ pages of people having freezing and lockup problems with
>> Ubuntu.
>>
>> Linux IS a problem.
>> It is a MAJOR problem.
>>

> Your recommendations, then?
>
> If 65+ pages indicate freezups and lockups, would the
> solution be to simply have everyone upgrade their hardware
> and use Windows Vista Ultimate instead?

Re: Configurating updates: stage 3 of 3 stuck in endless reboot loop

,----[ Quote ]
| My install of the SP1 RC Refesh has gone wrong.
|
| Everytime I start the computer it says:
|
| Configurating updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete
|
| And then reboots, and reboots, and reboots ... I had it rebooting for over an
| hour before I stopped the madness.
| All the safe modes does the same, so how do I uninstall the installer,
| without being able to log in?
`----

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/showpost.aspx?postid=2848906&siteid=17

Made Slashdot. Affected a huge number of people at the time. Not an isolated
incident, either. It happens every month and each time something else breaks,
which is why people steer clear and away from Vista. Vista's codebase is not
maintainable and XP's userbase justifies more rigorous patch testing from
Microsoft. It's a catch 22 and there is hardly a solution to this.

At the moment you will find Microsoft using its various sockpuppets ('analysts'
whom it typically hires, e.g. Gartnerberg, Silver and more recently Forrester)
warning people not to leave Microsoft Windows altogether. It's a desperate set
of moves which Microsoft hopes nobody will see as an act of manipulation.

“Analysts sell out - that’s their business model… But they are very concerned
that they never look like they are selling out, so that makes them very
prickly to work with.”

                Microsoft, internal document
                http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

Long story short -- Microsoft relies on manufacturing Windows consent at the
moment. That said, last night Ballmer said that Vista is "work in progress".
Big ouch!

Roy S. Schestowitz
Cpu(s): 24.7%us,  3.7%sy,  1.0%ni, 66.5%id,  3.8%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st