Re: Fat, fatter, fattest: Microsoft’s kings of bloat

Homer wrote:
Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:

BTW, what's with the headline? It sounds like a description
of Steve Ballmer, not Vista and Office 2007. Maybe it's a case of owners looking like their pets, or vice versa.

LOL!

Time to throw a couple chairs and swear profusely!  Here is a
good reason why:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1217424&SiteID=1

Random Vista crashes OK, I'm pissed now. The following is a brief history of my experience with Windows Vista.

1. 6 months ago I set up a dual boot start up on my system between XP Home, and Vista Beta 2. I installed a 2nd. hard drive for Vista, since I didn't want to screw up my system. Beta 2 looked nice, but was very bloated, and a bit unstable. I would get the "Black screen on death" now and then saying I had a USB driver causing the problem.

2. 3 Months ago I installed Windows Vista RC1 over the Beta 2 version. It was more unstable. Actually, it was hardly useable due to the frequent random crashes. For this version, it was just a black screen - then shutdown. It would always happen when either playing a simple game like hearts, or opening a file in Media player.

3. Yesterday, like an idiot, I installed Vista Home Basic over
 RC1. It is far less bloated, does not take up a lot of space,
 and therefore, would appear to be more stable.

WRONG! Lucky for me I still kept the dual boot system, and have the good old XP to fall back on. Even the Home Basic version, for no apparent reason - Black Screen - Restart!

WHY THE HELL IS THIS! I did everything right. My Dell Dimension passed all the pre Vista tests.

Who uses this slopware anyway?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080325-vista-capable-lawsuit-paints-picture-of-buggy-nvidia-drivers.html

or http://tinyurl.com/27wgoe

Published: March 25, 2008 - 07:30PM CT

Microsoft's data strongly indicates that the problems were
real. Damon Poeter at CRN dug through the documentation to
find that on page 47 of the PDF, NVIDIA drivers were
identified as the cause of over 479,000 crashes, or just under
29 percent of all the crashes Microsoft logged. Microsoft's
own drivers follow, at 17.9 percent, and the "Unknown"
category takes third place at 17 percent. ATI is in fourth
place (9.3 percent) and Intel in fifth place (8.83 percent).

479,000 crashes logged by M$ on Vista and with a total of 1,652,000 including all others! No wonder why people are unhappy with this slopware! This stuff is really nasty! Get over it, just dump the OS and install Linux.

--
HPT