[News] Eee PC SDK Only for GNU/Linux, Windows XP "Not Enough"

Hands On: Write applications for your Eee

,----[ Quote ]
| For less than the cost of an iPhone, the Asus Eee PC gets you a highly
| portable computer that’s capable of most everyday tasks, including an office
| suite, internet, email and multimedia. Although Asus markets the Eee PC as an
| appliance, it’s a truly open device, which means you can write custom
| applications in the language of your choice.
`----

http://www.itweek.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2213845/hands-write-eee

Product Reviews: Asus Eee PC 900  [PC Pro]

,----[ Quote ]
| Our test unit came with the aforementioned Xandros Linux pre-installed, which
| took up about 2.3GB on the 4GB OS drive. It springs into life quickly, and
| the simple tabbed interface is ideal for experienced and inexperienced
| computer users alike.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/188277/asus-eee-pc-900.html

In Ed Tech, XP Home not good enough for Eee

,----[ Quote ]
| To be honest, if you want to provide a Windows experience for your students
| as part of an Eee (or any other ULPC, for that matter) deployment, stick with
| the Linux install and let them use Terminal Services to log into Windows at
| school. Server 2003 (and now 2008) is robust, has all the features of XP Pro,
| is easy to manage, and could virtually be paid for by the money you save
| avoiding the $80/Eee.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1630

Recent:

Asus launches second-gen Eee PC

,----[ Quote ]
| The 20GB model will come with Linux, Asus said, while the 12GB version will
| be pre-loaded with Windows XP Home Edition.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/16/asus_launches_eee_900/

Related:

2007's most important IT lesson is spelled with an Eee

,----[ Qote ]
| The Eee shows too just how out of date the 'is Linux ready for the desktop?'
| argument is. Yes it is. Anyone can pick up an Eee with its standard Linux
| distro - or with a number of freely available alternatives - and just use it.
| That alone revitalises the 'is this paid-for operating system value for
| money?' question.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006830o-2000331777b,00.htm?new_comment

Microsoft can't even give it away