Re: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Sales Program at Dell Thriving

____/ Matt on Wednesday 16 April 2008 22:51 : \____

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9077678&intsrc=hm_list

>>> Also at that link:
>>> (((((
>>> )))))
>>>
>>> It is a good idea that Dell doesn't stick Linux computers in the faces
>>> of people who don't know Linux from Windows, as Everex did in Walmart
>>> stores.
>>>
>>> The "doesn't matter" condition is realized by people building more and
>>> better cross-platform apps.
>>
>> Some people buy the Windows models just to install Linux on them (or dual
>> boot) by their own admission. Dell ought to fix the pricing anomaly because
>> the Windows-loaded PCs are often cheaper, which encourages Linux-using
>> people to buy PCs with Windows (to be immediately purged).
>
> Absolutely if the Linux version and the Windows version of the same
> model were the same price, I would buy the Windows version and make it
> dual boot, in case I might need Windows.
>
> But note that I would prefer a model for which there is a Linux version,
> because Dell and Ubuntu engineers will have already dealt with any Linux
> hardware issues for that model.  So that model (and Dell) is a little
> bit ahead when the model is offered with Linux installed: it is already
> proven to work with Linux.
>
>> Anyway, in case Dell wants to boost Linux /sales/ (not just number of Linux
>> installations on Dell boxes), pricing needs to be resolved. They undercount
>> the number of Dell buyers that are Linux bound.
>
> We can suppose that Dell is aware of the points we make above, and that
> they use those points to justify staying in the Linux market, even when
> their bare Linux sales figures may not in themselves be impressive
> enough to report.
>
> But no, they shouldn't be charging more for Linux than for Windows.  It
> used to be that MS charged the OEM for each box they sold, whether or
> not Windows was installed.  I don't know whether that practice has been
> ruled illegal.

The predatory pricing schemes are a violation of the law and Intel is facing
changes for such practises in several continents at the moment (it's almost a
form of bribe for turning away competitors, just put more subtly). If
Microsoft /still/ plays that game with Dell, Dell ought to file a complaint
(while being careful of Ballmer's grease gun).

Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?

http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+want+to+whack+Dell+over+its+Linux+dealings/2100-1014_3-6153904.html

Dell's secret Linux fling [sabotaged by Microsoft]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/

Roy S. Schestowitz      | < http://debian.org >
Cpu(s): 24.6%us,  3.7%sy,  1.0%ni, 66.1%id,  4.3%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st