Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Scared of Embedded Linux

____/ 7 on Wednesday 16 April 2008 22:44 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft Worried Over Linux Dominance In Embedded Space
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Renames its family of products to target the embedded market.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/26010/news.htm
>>
>> The embedded market is larger than the desktop market (applications aside)
>> and will continue to grow.
>>
>> Where Novell Can Beat Microsoft
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | ...there?s a market niche where Novell could give Microsoft really big
>> | headaches. It?s the embedded software market, where SuSE Linux
>> | Enterprise Real Time and SuSE Linux Enterprise Point of Service (not
>> | exactly embedded, but stick with The VAR Guy) are promising offerings.
>

> Thats a long long long very long stretch of the imagination.
> No one cares a toss about contributing code for novel (micoshaft) axis.
> Embedded Linux is doing well on its own without novel.
> If novel entered it, its probably going to turn into crap just
> like it did with its desktop Linux distro.
>

>> http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/04/16/where-novell-can-beat-microsoft/

Yes, I thought the same thing. The guy who wrote this, with all due respect to
him, doesn't have the suitable background and he doesn't know just how crowded
this space already is (he's new to Linux by the way, but he's a fan). Novell
would be foolish to set a toe there... same with Red Hat. Ubuntu tries the
mobile space at the moment, but with LiMo and Android already fighting for
space I have little hope for Ubuntu Mobile. High ambitions, but too much
competition.

It's absolutely amazing how little coverage embedded /ANYTHING/ gets in the
media. Had the press paid more attention to devices and mentioned the
operating systems, Linux would be appreciated for the fact that it's
everywhere and Windows is nowhere. To most people, computer = that thing on
the desk. They hardly think about millions of servers that index and deliver
Web search results to them. They hardly even think about those tens of
billions of electric circuits that run one flavour of OS or another.

The Intel-Dell-MS oligopoly/treo can be weakened by competition (Freedom)
 00:05:01 up 1 day, 22:17,  3 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.74, 0.92