[News] Advocating Using Strengths Versus Rivals' Weaknesses

Strengths and Weaknesses

,----[ Quote ]
| I asked Shuttleworth if Canonical has any plans to capitalize on the June EOL
| for XP, particularly since Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is set to be released sometime
| this month. To me, it seems a perfect opportunity to strike while the iron is
| hot.
|
| Shuttleworth, however, prefers to focus his company's energies on the
| strengths of Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular.
|
| "I don't want to articulate our strategy in taking advantages of the
| weaknesses of Windows versus the highlighting the strengths of Linux," he
| told me.
|
| This gets into the negative identity treatise my colleague Bruce Byfield
| wrote up earlier this month. Byfield and I don't always agree, since I think
| a more aggressive approach is sometimes needed in pushing back against
| bullies. Bullying is a practice I abhor, and I tend to lead a little bit with
| my aggressive side when confronted with it. But I think Byfield, and now
| Shuttleworth, make some good points, too.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2008/04/strengths-and-w.html

With competition from Ubuntu, Red Hat has just decided not to step on the
desktop arena (yet).

Related:

Linux v. Microsoft: Third World Showdown

,----[ Quote ]
| Shuttleworth and his team at Ubuntu have done something amazing -they've
| created a truly usable desktop operating system that rivals WindowsXP in
| ease of use and features, accomplishing finally what many of us so long
| felt impossible - they've mirrored the simple elegance of the underlying
| system with an interface and applications that make it a delight to use.
|
| Personally, if I were setting up a company, a school, or a non-profit
| organization tomorrow I would use it on nearly every desktop and
| laptop.
|
| [...]
|
| Or, perhaps, when one of the distributions of Linux - possibly Ubuntu,
| possibly another - catches and surpasses Windows in usability to such an
| extent that for a broad base of the computing population Windows is just
| so old, clunky, and so uncool , that it gets set aside and forgotten. In
| the wake of the delays and feature-shrinkage surrounding Windows Vista,
| is that so inconceivable?
|
| I think that's what Shuttleworth is working toward. And that's when the
| world will have the "free choice" Steve Ballmer likes to talk about.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/060913/16730_id.html?.v=1

Crazy Singer from Microsoft - Is Steve Ballmer CEO?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAATykiz110