Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

____/ Linonut on Saturday 12 April 2008 14:45 : \____

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9043359

>>> "A lot of people think of Windows as this really large, bloated
>>> operating system, and that may be a fair characterization, I have to
>>> admit," said Eric Traut, who holds the title of distinguished
>>> engineer at Microsoft. "[So] we created what we call MinWin. It's
>>> still bigger than I'd like it to be, but we've taken a shot at really
>>> stripping out all of the layers above and making sure that we had a
>>> clean architectural layer there."
>
> Does he mean that they are doing a redesign, or just an ad hoc
> refactoring?
>
> Of course, they'll still have the apps to redesign/refactor.

Here's what they do here (a friend E-mailed me this some hours ago):

"In the face of strong competition, Evangelism's focus may shift immediately to
the next version of the same technology, however. Indeed, Phase 1 (Evangelism
Starts) for version x+1 may start as soon as this Final Release of version X."

                        --- Microsoft, internal document
                        http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'