Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Linonut on Saturday :
Matt fired off:

This story barely made it into COLA about six months
back---as an Inquirer article posted by [H]omer.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9043359

"A lot of people think of Windows as this really large,
bloated operating system, and that may be a fair
characterization, I have to admit," said Eric Traut, who
holds the title of distinguished engineer at Microsoft.
"[So] we created what we call MinWin. It's still bigger
than I'd like it to be, but we've taken a shot at really
 stripping out all of the layers above and making sure
that we had a clean architectural layer there."

Does he mean that they are doing a redesign, or just an ad
hoc refactoring?

Of course, they'll still have the apps to redesign/refactor.

Here's what they do here (a friend E-mailed me this some hours
ago):

"In the face of strong competition, Evangelism's focus may
shift immediately to the next version of the same technology,
however. Indeed, Phase 1 (Evangelism Starts) for version x+1
may start as soon as this Final Release of version X."

--- Microsoft, internal document http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

I take the announcements with a grain of salt. One is never sure what will transpire, when it is ready to distribute it is ready to distribute.

Meanwhile, Linux will continue to be the choice OS to install on lighter hardware, knowing that it will perform well as expected and stable.

Best test is to try the software. It helps overcome the troll nonsense being posted in this newsgroup, which is BASICALLY OUT TO DESTROY LINUX REPUTATION in a sad jihad of evangelism tainted with half truths and in some cases, out right lies.

One falsehood is that Linux advocates hate Windows. This is not true; we use it where needed. Having knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of Windows gives us a benchmark for comparing Linux.

After comparing the 2, I have a definite preference for Linux. I prefer the stability it brings, the empowerment to save money, keep lighter and cheaper hardware fully operational, newer faster hardware operating at peak efficiency for applications.

It also helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by running lighter on hardware.

--
HPT