Re: TomsHardware Reviews $99 KPC with GNU/Linux

____/ nrballard@xxxxxxxxx on Saturday 12 April 2008 00:43 : \____

> On Apr 11, 1:28 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Shuttle's New $99 KPC Review
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Shuttle's main marketing drive behind the KPC underlines four
>> | strengths; it aims to be user-friendly, customizable, expandable, and
>> | green. With Shuttle now delivering the KPC in limited numbers as a
>> | barebones or complete system, we decided to see if it can deliver on these
>> | features as promised.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/04/10/shuttle_ninty_nine_dollar_kpc/...
>>
>> Recent:
>>
>> Shuttle KPC Linux PC now available
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The KPC comes in a wide-variety of configurations and prices. It's now
>> | available from a bare-bones version of $99 up to a fully loaded model
>> | selling for approximately $299.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3781425723.html
>>

> Worth noting that the $99 'bare bones' model doesn't have a hard
> drive, and thus, no OS.  Still, the fact that they chose Foresight
> Linux over Ubuntu for their $299 model makes me very interested to try
> it out...

A hard drive just cost me 20 quid (about $40) when I last bought one (the
previous one started making noises and died after many years of persistent
use... lots of paging because I have little RAM).

KPC seems to be more about the design and the consumption of energy than about
the O/S. Most importantly, the board is Linux-ready and there is no 'Microsoft
tax'. You could run just about anything on it, so TomsHardware's focus on...
well, hardware seems like a perfect fit. Needless to say, that puppy would
choke on something like Windows Vista.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
Tasks: 120 total,   1 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie