Re: [News] Demotion of the Large-sized PC, Linux in the Living Room

* Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> Thin-Clients Revisited
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The death of the PC is predicted once again. Of course I will be wrong like
>>| all the others before me. Personal Computing is so seductive that it will
>>| morph into ultra-cheap low-powered devices that hybridise the web thin-client
>>| with the personal device. Even Dell are aiming to release a sub $100 Linux
>>| (Ubuntu?) notebook. What I can say, however, is that the day of the big
>>| beige/black box is stone dead maybe it will take a major operating system
>>| vendor with it.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.siriusit.co.uk/myblog/thin-clients-revisited.html
>
> I agree entirely... the desktop is very very dead, long live the
> appliance and the mobile device.

Desktop:    <gravelly voice> "I'm not dead yet."

Mark:       "Yes you are.  You'll be stone-dead in a moment."

Mark:       "Isn't there something you can do?"

Bill Gates: <kills desktop with a blow to the head>

--
At Microsoft there are lots of brilliant ideas but the image is that they
all come from the top - I'm afraid that's not quite right.