[News] Linux Hardware Support Further Improved; Sun Buys Hardware Company

Rt2x00 project for wireless nearing success

,----[ Quote ]
| Van Doorn describes the project's goal as enabling a device that "works out
| of the box. The driver should be rock-solid, have excellent data throughput,
| and not consume more memory than strictly needed. For advanced users, it
| should be possible to create multiple virtual interfaces and put them all in
| master mode for software access point and create an extra virtual interface
| for monitor mode just to show off to users of other operating systems.
|
| "Linux support for Ralink hardware has had a bad reputation for a long time,"
| van Doorn acknowledges, but he adds that "This has already been improving
| over the past year. We are on the right track, and hopefully it won't take
| that long before we can push Rt2x00 past the final obstacles."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/132701

Sun Buys Processor Startup Montalvo Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun is one of the few companies that continues to design microprocessors for
| use in its own servers. For example, the company's UltraSparc T2, formerly
| known as Niagara 2, is an octal-core chip that integrates other components of
| a computer on the same chip. The processor is capable of running Sun's own
| Solaris operating system and Linux.
`----                      ^^^^^^^^^

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/145105/sun_buys_processor_startup_montalvo_systems.html

Apple has just bought one also... and one that supports Linux.

Related:

Open source 3D printer copies itself

,----[ Quote ]
| Accordingly, the RepRap machine is distributed, at no cost, under the GNU
| (General Public Licence).
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/2F5C3C5D68A380EDCC257423006E71CD

DIY Robotics: The Rise of Open Source Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/news/2008/03/etech_hardware