[News] Ubuntu Linux 8.04 Earns Good Reviews, Gives Credit to Debian GNU/Linux

Ubuntu Hardy Heron: A First Look

,----[ Quote ]
| The long awaited release of Ubuntu 8.04 from Canonical has finally arrived,
| and it’s looking great! This version, codenamed Hardy Heron, is only the
| second LTS (Long Term Support) release, which makes it even more special. The
| first LTS release from Canonical (Dapper) was when the company was relatively
| new and unknown. However through the past 2 years, Ubuntu has established
| itself as one of the most user friendly and easy Linux distro out there. So
| much expectation revolves around this release, and finally the wait is over!
| Let’s have a quick run down on what Hardy brings on the table, and how it
| weighs against these expectations.
`----

http://hehe2.net/linux-general/ubuntu-hardy-heron-a-first-look/

The Heron takes flight

,----[ Quote ]
| We all owe a great deal to the team who make Debian’s “unstable” repository
| possible, and of course to the upstream projects from GNOME and KDE through
| to the Linux kernel. We hope you will be proud of the condition in which we
| have carried your excellent work through to the users of Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/147

Ubuntu 8.04: Hardy Heron Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 8.04 is a great release that definitely lives up to the attention it
| received. It adds several new features and applications, while improving on a
| solid security base. It’s not without problems: the speed of some 3D
| applications may be an issue for some folks, and the use of beta software
| could be a potential problem, but the good features far outnumber the
| problems.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2008/04/24/ubuntu-804-hardy-heron-review/

Welcome to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/804features/

Review: Why Ubuntu 'Hardy Heron' Wins Laurels

,----[ Quote ]
| The new Ubuntu version offers an enhanced multimedia experience and Web
| surfing, nicely wrapped up in a Windows-friendly package. All that's missing
| is a bow on top.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/207401927?cid=topicalFeed

Recent:

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iU4Lq7tOR_WVOJLZ3IeRaIH03x6w

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

The brazilian Election Supreme Court migrates 430 thousand voting machines to
GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The brazilian Election Supreme Court announced at April 4th 2008, that the
| 2008 elections at Brazil will use GNU / Linux electronic voting machines with
| software digital authentication.
|
| The Tribunal Superior Eleitoral (the brazilian Election Supreme Court),
| officially announced on April 4th, 2008, that the brazilian 2008 elections
| will use 430 thousand electronic voting machines migrated from VirtuOS and
| Windows CE to GNU / Linux and open source softwares for security and auditing
| defined by proper law.
`----

http://techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/tse_migrates_to_linux

Related:

Survey Says … Linux Desktop Is Ever More Popular

,----[ Quote ]
| The first thing we can say about the Linux desktop in 2007 is that there are
| more users than ever. The Linux Foundation 2006 survey had fewer than 10,000
| people signing in. This year more than 20,000 Linux desktop users reported
| in.

| Okay, now lets tie this all back in together. Novell claimed several months
| back in a video ad that Desktop Linux users accounted for upwards of
| 30,000,000 different people. That's 30 million. Recent statements made by
| some Novell representatives indicate that they expect there are upwards of
| 50,000,000 Desktop Linux users. Microsoft has never contested the number of
| Desktop Linux users, and if anything the deal Microsoft signed with Novell
| was tacit agreement that Microsoft believed those numbers to be accurate.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/11/desktop-os-vista-vs-linux.html

Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
| a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
| Linux distribution of choice.
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,news,19940,p,0.html

Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

,----[ Quote ]
| DesktopLinux.com, which is a Web site devoted to, obviously, desktop Linux,
| has finished a survey that found more than a doubling of Linux desktop users
| in the past year.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/013576.html

Desktop Linux on the Rise, Linux Foundation Reports

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2220549,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594