Re: [News] Friesland (Germany) Moves to FOSS and OpenOffice.org

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 23 April 2008 07:25 : \____

http://www.muenchen.de/cms/prod1/mde/_de/rubriken/Rathaus/40_dir/limux/publ/first_year.pdf

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/enterpriseapps/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207001577

>>                                                    ^
>>
>>> Even so, those figures are not so small that they can be ignored.  The
>>> key thing to couple with these figures are the sales figures.  The
>>> Amazon numbers are fascinating... Just taking a look now, we see that
>>>
>>> no.1  Acer notebook, "Vista home premium" down from £399 to £329
>>> no.2  Vaio laptop, "Vista home premium" down from £926 to £699
>>> no.3  Vaio laptop, "Vista home premium" down from £529 to £469
>>> no.4  Acer notbook "Vista home basic" down from £299 to £289
>>> No.5  Acer notebook "Vista Home premium" down from £399 to £349
>>> No.6  HP pavillion "Vista Home premium" at £389
>>> ... and it continues with heavily discounted Vista models until you
>>> get to number 8 which is an Asus Eee at £191.
>>>
>>> An Asus Eee is also at slot number 18, and the Nokia N810 is at slot
>>> number 24.
>>>
>>> The 4Gig, 7" Eee has fallen down to number 59, although it's rather
>>> expensive at £269, well above the original price of £209.  If Asus could
>>> make more, I think they'd sell a *lot* more of them.
>>>
>>> The interesting thing here, though, is that the Windows machines are
>>> being heavily discounted, whereas the Linux ones are actually being sold
>>> well above the originally listed price.
>>
>> The UK will probably adapt FOSS even /after/ the US does (i.e. last). It's
>> that 'special relationship'.
>>

> To be honest, I think that sometimes there is a genuine disadvantage to
> have a more or less compatible language - it seems to result in people
> here being more willing to believe the marketing tosh, lobbying and so
> on than people from non-English speaking geographries.
>
> It's more a sort of "special gullibility" than a "special relationship".

For sure, but language is just one aspect of shared and common heritage that
impacts looks, names and even interpersonal chmistry.

"One smaller motivation which, in part, stems from altruism is
Microsoft-bashing."
                --Vinod Valloppillil, Microsoft
Swap:  1510068k total,   734464k used,   775604k free,    56852k cached