Re: [News] Anti-OOXML Protests in Norway

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 21 April 2008 07:16 : \____

http://blogs.freecode.no/isene/2008/04/07/demonstration-outside-iso-conference/

>>> It's a shame nobody cared enough about the integrity of ISO.  Or ECMA,
>>> or BSI.
>>
>> It clearly shows the opposite. Some people /did/ care to -- as they put it
>> -- defend the integrity of ISO by dropping OOXML. Watch the transcript of
>> the speech from the Norwegian protest.
>>
>> ISO has been corrupted and so has the BSI on the face of it. I've been
>> exchanging some smoking guns by E-mail. ISO can lock itself up in a bunker,
>> but people around the world still talk.
>>

> The internet has made such corruption much more difficult to get away
> with.

People on Alex Brown's committee have responded to information they found on my
site (and others). Some heads will roll.

Europe is preparing a legal storm.

The OOXML fiasco is important because it will be a nice prod to Europe's
recently-announced test case for Ubuntu Linux and FLOSS. It could also give
the go-ahead for an embargo -- however limited it may be due to practicality
and need for 'graduality'.

Yesterday:

Open Parliament

,----[ Quote ]
| A petition for the use of open standards in the EU bodies was launched some
| time ago and got support of many European citizens who want
| discrimination-free access to public online services.
|
| [...]
|
| Many participants and speakers referenced to the OOXML standardisation
| process, in particular were intrigued by the French AFNOR developments.
| Generally speakers feel concerned about OOXML to become a standard in
| governmental procurement. In private a government delegate compared
| Microsoft's public affairs methods with the scientology cult.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-54634/open-parliament

Also recent:

MEPs Question Microsoft's Eligibility for Gov't Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission, which has not responded yet, is allowed a few weeks to reply.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144591/meps_question_microsofts_eligibility_for_govt_projects.html

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/10/member-eu-parliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/106338/from/rss09

EC probes OOXML standards-setting process

,----[ Quote ]
| A spokesman for the European Commissioner for Competition, Neelie Kroes, told
| The Register that regulators were continuing to scrutinise interoperability
| issues related to Microsoft’s products following complaints from the
| Committee for Interoperable Systems (ECIS) group.
|
| As part of that process, the EC formally contacted a number of national
| standards bodies, including the Norwegian Standards Institute (NSI),
| requesting more details about possible irregularities in the OOXML
| standardisation process.
|
| [...]
|
| “It must be stressed that it is not the Commission's intention to influence
| the outcome of this process, but the Commission considers it essential to
| ensure that European competition law is not violated in the course of the
| standard setting process,” he said in an email to El Reg.
|
| In January the EC began formal anti-trust probes against Microsoft in two
| cases where it was alleged that the multinational firm had abused its strong
| market position. As part of the investigation into the first case, the
| Commission said that it would scrutinise OOXML on the grounds that the
| specification doesn't work with those of competitors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/ooxml_ec_investigation_iso/

EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com