[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Hotmail Users Now Forced to Drop DAV (MS POP3/IMAP), Get Ads, Buy New Windows

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Hotmail Users Now Forced to Drop DAV (MS POP3/IMAP), Get Ads, Buy New Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 07:11:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Microsoft story:

Microsoft Announces Changes for Accessing Hotmail with Outlook Express

,----[ Quote ]
| Important news if you currently access your Windows Live Hotmail with Outlook
| Express, come June 30th. this will no longer be possible.
|
|     A change is coming for users that access Hotmail with Outlook Express.
|     Outlook Express uses a protocol called DAV (Distributed Authoring and
|     Versioning protocol) to access a Windows Live™ Hotmail® e-mail account.
|     DAV, like POP3 or IMAP, is the way that a mail client communicates with a
|     web-based mail server.
`----

http://www.liveside.net/blogs/main/archive/2008/04/18/microsoft-announces-changes-for-accessing-hotmail-with-outlook-express.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/43rg86

The untold story:

Microsoft to kill Hotmail access via Outlook Express

,----[ Quote ]
| The worst part is that Windows Live Mail requires the Windows XP SP2
| operating system, or newer. That means that Microsoft has effectively screwed
| Outlook Express users on Windows 2000 and earlier. Now, I'm all for progress,
| but this is a poor way to handle the protocol change. I've got news for you
| Microsoft: users prefer being able to access their mail inefficiently, as
| opposed to not at all. These users will either have to go back to the browser
| for their e-mail, or use a non-Microsoft e-mail application.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2008/04/18/microsoft-to-kill-hotmail-access-via-outlook-express

Related:

Forced to Upgrade MSN (This is why I use linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| This is pissing me off, I am currently upgrading to MSN Live Messenger
| because I am being forced to. I don't like it and would prefer to stick with
| MSN 7.5 which is to me the best version. Instead I am forced to use something
| I don't want to so I am going to switch to something new. Pidgin will
| probably be my new messenger client because I am sick of MSN's shit.
`----

http://navetz.com/view.php?id=73

What the Hell Is Microsoft Doing with My Computer?

,----[ Quote ]
| Listen carefully. They're my computers. They're not your computers. I choose
| to put Windows on some of them. I choose what applications go on them. I
| choose when, and how, to upgrade them. Is that clear? Well, none of that is
| clear to Microsoft. We now know— we don't suspect— we know that Microsoft
| automatically updates Windows XP SP 2 systems without your knowledge or
| permission.

Force, not value, to drive upgrades - the new Microsoft way (?)

,----[ Quote ]
| Hurray for Microsoft! In an attempt to boost revenues and smooth them out
| (i.e., ongoing annuities instead of purchases clumped around product
| releases), Microsoft has shown a callous disregard for the customer as it
| seeks out its own benefit.
|
| This despite Forrester showing that only 11% of Software Assurance customers
|                                          ^^ [see below]
| plan to renew it. Why? Well, because Microsoft's Software Assurance tends to
| drive up prices. What's not to love?
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9774969-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Software Assurance Storm Warning

,----[ Quote ]
| In a report to be published today, Forrester Research sees a series of
| customer hurricanes coming Microsoft's way. If they strike, they could wash
| away many Software Assurance contracts. Software Assurance is the discounted
| upgrade option available with Open, Open Value and Select volume licensing
| contracts.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/software_assurance_storm_warning.html

Microsoft Turns Up The Heat On Windows 2000 Users

,----[ Quote ]
| What if you want to keep your old operating systems, such as Windows
| 2000, running as long as possible?
|
| Microsoft isn't making it easy for you. Office 2007 and the software
| for the company's much-hyped Zune music player won't install on Windows
| 2000. As other new products emerge from Microsoft in 2007 and beyond,
| more and more of them are likely to leave Windows 2000 out of the party.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196700071

Windows 2000 faces security melt down

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| Use of Microsoft Windows XP has grown inside corporations, but a new
| study shows that nearly half of business PCs are still running the
| older Windows 2000.
`----

http://news.com.com/The+slow+road+to+Windows+XP/2100-1016_3-5746046.html?part=rss&tag=5746046&subj=news

Is the PC upgrade cycle dead?

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the brief history. In those long-ago days, PC manufacturers--and hence
| software developers, chipmakers, and computer dealers--would see a spike in
| demand every three to four years. Microsoft and Intel would come out with
| major refreshes of their product lines roughly at that cadence. The whole
| system of steady upgrade cycles culminated with the release of Windows 95 in
| 1995, still one of the best orgies of technology binge buying on record.
| Start me up!
|
| After Windows 95, however, operating system upgrades were no longer strong
| enough on their own to prompt upgrade cycles. A slight bump in sales might
| occur, but it was hard to say whether it was related to a new OS.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9920663-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/microsoft_intel_vista_capable_emails/

Microsoft tries to stop more ‘Vista-capable’ e-mails from going public

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1254