[News] GNU/Linux Desktops and Laptops in the Big Press

Good things in small packages

,----[ Quote ]
| Some machines have a solid state option, meaning there are no mechanical
| components in the drive, resulting in less overall weight. For a Linux
| netbook, 512MB of RAM should suffice but for Windows we suggest 1GB.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/reviews/roadtest-netbooks/2008/08/02/1217097598312.html
http://tinyurl.com/63r8yd

Review: Asus's Mini Invasion Continues with the Pint-Sized Eee Box

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus has been cranking out new versions of the Eee PC faster than a Kansas
| twister, all thanks to the growing herd of Eee-mitators out there. Still,
| with everyone and their grandmother now hot for these little dwarfbooks, the
| company's continued claim to the mini laptop throne is tenuous at best --
| even with those 23 existing and soon-to-be-released Eee PC configurations.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/08/review-asuss-mi.html

Recent:

Microsoft's SEC:

,----[ Quote ]
| A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system...
| To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
| of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
| our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline.
`----

http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

Microsoft to limit capabilities of cheap laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft plans to offer PC makers steep discounts on Windows XP Home Edition
| to encourage them to use that OS instead of Linux on ultra low-cost PCs
| (ULPCs). To be eligible, however, the PC vendors that make ULPCs must limit
| screen sizes to 10.2 inches and hard drives to 80G bytes, and they cannot
| offer touch-screen PCs.
|
| The program is outlined in confidential documents that Microsoft sent to PC
| makers last month, and which were obtained by IDG News Service. The goal
| apparently is to limit the hardware capabilities of ULPCs so that they don't
| eat into the market for mainstream PCs running Windows Vista, something both
| Microsoft and the PC vendors would want to avoid.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft notes that the OSes under consideration for the devices include
| Windows and Linux. Some PC makers have expressed a preference for Linux
| because it helps them keep down the cost of the devices.
|
| [...]
|
| By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft hopes to
| secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of Linux, according to
| an official at one PC maker, who asked not to be identified because he was
| not authorized to discuss the program.
|
| "[Low-cost PC makers] have made some good inroads with open-source, and
| Microsoft wants to put a stop to it," the official said.
|
| The official did not seem opposed to the program. It should stimulate more
| competition between Windows and Linux in the ULPC market, and it could
| invigorate sales because consumers who want an easy-to-use PC are likely to
| prefer Windows, the official said.
`----

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=D04AB1F8-17A4-0F78-310F5F4479DEEE86

Microsoft U-turn to stop Linux dominating ultra low cost PCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/hardware/laptops/news/index.cfm?newsid=9006