Re: [News] Media Mafia 'Steals' Linux Code, Then Slams Medium for FOSS Distribution

* Andrew Halliwell peremptorily fired off this memo:

> thufir <hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 21:11:38 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
>>
>>> Copyright infringement is not theft.
>>
>> But "they" want it to be.
>>
>> Hence the "piracy is theft" video on DVD's on top the FBI warning.
>
> We tend not to see them over here.
> Though we do get some utterly ludicrous ones of our own.
> Like "Piracy is funding the terrorists and organised crime" ones.

   http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/knowthefacts/

This site is funny as hell!

Funny:  Click here to install Silverlight

Funny:  Three misleadingly-named links:

   Piracy Home
   Piracy Partner Home
   Worldwide Piracy Site

Ironic as hell:

   Respecting intellectual property rights laws benefits everyone. It
   strengthens economies, creates job opportunities, protects honest
   workers from losing their jobs to criminals, stimulates technological
   progress, and gives customers the genuine software experience they
   deserve while protecting them from becoming victims.

Funny:  Anti-piracy wallpaper, "social media badges", and videos:

   http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/knowthefacts/downloads.aspx

   This wallpaper seems to represent a Microsoft board meeting or
   strategy session:

   http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/downloads/knowthefacts/wallpaper/1280x1024/GSI-WP10-1280x1024.jpg

Funny:  The video links are absolutely unresponsive, either from the
        browser or grom wget

Funny:  the video links yield this page:

   http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/knowthefacts/ctl00_mainContentPlaceHolder_videoId

   We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.

In other words, they don't have the video there.  So why does the page
show a link to it?  Too busy fending of Linux to be fending off Piracy?

--
Silence is the element in which great things fashion themselves.
		-- Thomas Carlyle