Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 07:22:41 +0000, Tony wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 23:24:38 +0000, 7 wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> Linux preinstalls rocket to three per cent
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> through | distribution in the UK, according to Context. |
>>>
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01
>> linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent
>>

>> If 7% of the PCs are shipping with something other than Micoshaft OSen,
>> then it means that the sport of shipping PCs without a Micoshaft OS has
>> gone mainstream.
>>
>> Businesses can justify not fitting a micoshaft OSen when shipping a PC
>> because shipping PCs without Micoshaft Osen is now an established
>> mainstream defacto option!
>>
>> If Linux desktop now adds another 4% gain, then Linux desktops would
>> also become mainstream OS (at least in the UK).
>
> ...and I can confirm that Linux is gaining many fans in the UK.

I've certainly noticed a big increase in people coming to the local LUG
install days this year. Many new ones have had their machines dual
booting, older "dual booters" have had M$ Windows wiped off altogether, &
many who were just curious about linux have taken dozens of Live-Cds away
with them. Many small companies have made enquiries too.

> The problem arises when the general consensus of opinion from people
> living in the US think that the USA is the whole world and nothing of
> note goes on outside it. The EU is trying it's best to cut Microsoft
> down to size, but I doubt if this will make any difference to the big
> picture. Has anyone noticed that according to Distrowatch, Ubuntu comes
> from the Isle of Man, and Mint from Ireland?

Canonical is a registerd company in the IOM, but I didn't know Mint was
from Ireland.

--
Is a M$ "Certificate of Authenticity"
for Vista, a junk bond?