Re: This Has To Be A Record.....

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 13 August 2008 01:52 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rex Ballard
> <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:17:36 -0700 (PDT)
> <8d837d5e-2425-4496-abe7-b5b31fec7182@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Aug 12, 1:01 am, "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_n_st...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> A new post every 2 minutes for the past 1.5 hours, best I can tell....
>>
>>> I stopped counting and it appears the stink pipe is still wide open to the
>>> Internet.
>>
>> It's amazing isn't it?  How much you can do with Linux, compared to
>> what you can do with Windows.  Roy is a testiment to the superior
>> productivity of Linux.
>
> Actually, in theory one can do anything in Windows that one
> can do with Linux, if one adds on software such as Cygwin.
> The main problems are efficiency, interoperability, and
> reliability; cutting and pasting from Windows to X is an
> interesting mess, for example.
>
> Better to use Linux in the first place if one doesn't
> absolutely need Windows applications such as Word, Excel,
> or Powerpoint [*], and relegate Windows to WinE, QEMU,
> or VmWare or just let it sit there encased in stone in
> the wrong side of the dualboot. ;-)
>
> That way, at least, Windows will live forever -- in stasis.

Like UNIX. Look up "SCO won't die" in YouTube? What to find? SCO. And it's
dying.

>>> Many approaching 100 lines and at least a couple approaching 400 lines....

<snip >

> Followups.
>
> [*] I for one find oowriter, oocalc, and ooimpress more than
>     adequate substitutes; these are of course offered by
>     OpenOffice.  One can also use gnumeric for the
>     spreadsheet (though there are some conversion issues
>     between it and oocalc), and various other applications
>     for the word processing, or even just use good old,
>     hasn't-changed-in-two-decades-because-it-doesn't-need-to
>     TeX.

Microsoft Office runs under GNU/Linux if one requires it, but there's a lot of
better software with many more to come, especially Web-based.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

“Strive not to be a man of success, but rather strive to be a man of value.”
                              --Albert Einstein