Re: [News] GNU/Linux Quicker to Install Than Mac OS or Windows

On 2008-08-10, Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> Not a lie.  Merely misleading, in the same sense that your reposting of
>>> problem-threads is misleading.
>>>
>>> You just want the XP screen to come up on a fast machine, and don't care
>>> if you have networking or full video support?  Then you are correct.
>>>
>>> You want more, though, and you don't have an OEM disk?  Then Roy is
>>> correct.
>>
>> I'd take "significant multiple" to be at least 2x, or 3x, or some other
>> integer multiple > 1.  So were are talking at least 50 minutes.  I don't
>> think Roy is correct if that is the case.
>
> That's why I said it was misleading.  It can take quite a bit /more/
> time if you get /all/ of the drivers that DELL has for its Latitudes, for
> example.  There's probably nearly a dozen EXEs you can find, download,
> and run.

A Windows install is fast and somewhat comparable to an Ubuntu install
IF AND ONLY IF you have a set of OEM disks that has your OS and all of
the necessary drivers PLUS all of your applications.

If you are doing it from "normal" install media it's no contest.

The Windows install is slow, painful and complicated (from the
point of view of an average Windows user). All of your config
state is in that registry and is going to disappear as soon
as you re-install. It won't be easy to determine what your
hardware is before you install it. Sorting out what libraries
your applications are dependent on will be similarly obscured.

[deletia]

The notion of a OpenStep style app directory is a remarkable
improvement over this sort of situation if you don't have a
comprehensive Unix style package manager.

--

	Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone               |||
	who has pirated their music                                  / | \