Re: Linux in the wild?

On 2008-08-29, bbgruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> Well, we were asked for "In the wild sightings", and I was assured by one of
> our long-standing writers here that Stores count as "in the Wild", so here's
> my own latest experience....
>
> U.K. readers will be familiar with PCWorld.
> Part of Dixon's-that-was?
> In my book, somewhere generally to be avoided, but a very convenient place to
> pick up blank CDs, DVDs, the odd cable, etc.  Very "Windows-centric", and
> perhaps the *last* place I had expected to see Linux.
>
> On the way back to the office today, I stopped-by to pick up some ink
> cartridges.  Through the automatic doors, huge Samsung T.V. to my left, and
> straight in front, blocking the aisle not 20ft from the door was a
> stand-alone-stand that one had to walk round to proceed.
> On that stand, an Acer One powered up and people playng with it.
> Right up front on the big price tag "This machine runs the Linux Operating
> System, and is pre-loaded with a complete Office Suite, compatible with MS
> Office"!
>
> Several people playing, so walked on to get my ink.
> Wandered round the laptop stands.  TWO Asus netbooks (Linux) there and powered
> up.  Ironically, somebody had displayed between them a boxed Norton Security
> pack at £29.99(?).  Also, one other laptop with somebody at it, was running
> Ubuntu (Advent?).
>
> On the way out, I actually managed to get my hands on the Acer, and I really
> was impressed.  Just 4 blocks of icons on the desktop, (Fun/Internet/Work
> etc?) and very snappy to use.  Priced at £199 (that's very low over here - we
> often pay in pounds what yanks pay in dollars for kit), and when I started
> opening documents and spreadsheets, I soon had a crowd round again.
> Was able to spend a few minutes answering questions, expounding on
> not-Windows, no A.V, needed, full Office suite, free updates - for ever!
> etc... and then left them all to have a go.
>
> Cetainly I was impressed by the device.  I always thought these things (screen
> and K/B) would be a bit small for my old eyes and clumsy fingers, but I was
> surprised at how good it was, and how easy to read the screen (8.9").
>
> I'm sure it comes with XP, and that a lot of folks will prefer that, but I was
> really amazed to see this (and the Linux statement) in such a prominent
> position in that particular store!  Maybe it's because they can't sell
> them.... or something....???:-):-)

I've been saying it for years, and I'll say it again: MICROS~1's days
aren't numbered, they're over. The body even flops around a little less
with each passing day, signalling that what's left of any brain
activity ceased and the nerves are finally dying down.

Who could've believed just a few short years ago that companies such as
Dell, HP, Acer, Asus, Intel and others would be openly selling linux
machines? Who would've believed that one could walk into places and
find linux machines for sale on the floor?

Some moron (DuFuS? GoldFish?) was claiming some crap about boxed linux
on the software shelves being little or non-existant, as though that
means something. But software on shelves doesn't make a statement
anything approaching the one made by a running machine on display.
Having machines on-hand is a far better position than having a shiny
box with nice words that doesn't convey what's really inside. Besides,
with broadband so widely available, and with cheap and free sources to
get copies for those who don't have broadband, what need is there for
boxed copies on linux on shelves?

And MS can't stop any of this!

I can remember a time when just the idea of MS saying they planned on
buying something would have sealed the deal. In those days Yahoo! would
have been a new MS department almost immediately after saying publicly
they wanted to acquire it. Now what? They got spurned. And even when
they tried to go in the back door they were stymied.

The Asus machines are available in DEPARTMENT STORES now! They can be
bought in a lot of places online. They're in computer stores. They're
ready to go. No muss, no fuss. After more than 25 years of Windwoes, MS
/STILL/ can't accomplish that. In fact, running *that* crap up and
getting to a point that work can begin takes far more time than ever!
And people are sick of it!!

It's no wonder those like our resident trolls are worked into a lather.
It's over. The dumber ones still may not realize it, but they know
something isn't right. The smarter ones (I think they all left by now)
seem to believe they can help delay the inevitable awhile longer, maybe
getting another paycheck or two more before it all comes crashing down.
But they certainly know the writing is on the wall because they've read
it themselves.

Some moron (DuFuS? Quack?) will surely have a conniption because they
think this is a preamature burial. But the end is nigh, no matter what
petulent frenzies they wish to engage in. They could do themselves a
favor by waking up and taking action. If they were smarter they might
be able to do just that.

I predict that 5 years from now the Windummies will sound a lot like
linux users did 8-10 years ago (if Windoze survives that long):

   "Windows isn't dead, you idiot. Stop saying that. Why, I personally
    know 1 other person who is running it at home, and they love it.
    I've heard of a couple of others in this area, too. Plus I'm hoping
    I can convince my boss to let me start using it at work,"

--
VISTA: Very Idiotic Software Trashing Applications