[News] Naximalists Ruin Canada with More Intellectual Monopolies

Bill C-61 grants new “copyright” related rights to non-copyright related
rights-holders?

,----[ Quote ]
| Many people remark about how similar Bill C-61 is to the USA’s DMCA. While
| Industry Minister Jim Prentice claims that things like the time and device
| shifting are “made in Canada” (See: Made Worse in Canada (feat. Jim
| Prentice)), these types of changes were unnecessary in the USA with their
| many decades old living Fair Use regime. This living Fair Use regime makes US
| law already far more balanced than Canadian law. If we want to do things
| right we should drop those excessively limited provisions from the bill, and
| instead adopt a living Fair Use regime similar to the one in the USA.
`----

http://blogs.itworldcanada.com/insights/2008/08/26/copyright-rights-to-non-copyright-holders/

Recent:

Red Hat founder concerned over Bill C-61

,----[ Quote ]
| His long history with open source development has him concerned about the
| provisions of Bill C-61 prohibiting software that circumvents technological
| measures (AKA technical protection measures, or TPMs).
|
| Despite an exemption in Bill C-61 that allows users to circumvent TPMs for
| the purpose of making software interoperable, Young told ComputerWorld Canada
| Thursday this could have unintended consequences.
|
| “I don’t want to come across as being hugely anti- (Bill C-61) but I am
| concerned about one particular feature,” Young said. “It errs on the side of
| making technology illegal as opposed to making behaviour illegal.”
|
| Because technology could change over the next few years, it’s hard to predict
| the effect of making circumvention tools illegal.
|
| “It’s the equivalent to making screwdrivers and pliers illegal because they
| can be used to break and enter instead of making the act of breaking and
| entering illegal,” Young said.
`----

http://blogs.itworldcanada.com/copyright-reform/2008/07/24/red-hat-founder-concerned-over-bill-c-61/

Microsoft Misleads on Copyright Reform

,----[ Quote ]
| The Hill Times this week includes an astonishingly misleading and factually
| incorrect article on Canadian copyright written by Microsoft.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2670/125/

Court Rejects Attempt to Expand the DMCA

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, a district court dismissed several claims in the case Coupons,
| Inc. v. Stottlemire, in which we had, in March, filed an amicus brief.
| Coupons offers online coupons that consumers can access and print using
| software provided by Coupons.
|
| [...]
|
| This is because controlling use of copyrighted material is already addressed
| by copyright law, and addressing it again in the DMCA would upset the careful
| balance between the rights of copyright owners and those of the public. As
| the court properly understood, maintaining a clear distinction between
| access-control claims and rights-control claims "leaves room for individual
| fair uses, adaptations for the blind, library research, and the other
| statutory exceptions to copyright."
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/07/court-rejects-attempt-to-expand-the-dmca

Fight the Canadian DMCA!

,----[ Quote ]
| On Wednesday, Industry Minister Jim Prentice introduced a bill that
| BoingBoing's Cory Doctorow described as making it "flatly illegal to break
| any kind of digital lock, or to violate terms in one of those absurd end-user
| license agreements that make you promise to agree to let the record industry
| kick your teeth in and drink all your beer, just for the dubious privilege of
| paying for a song at iTunes or watching a video on Viacom's website.
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/fight-the-canadian-dmca

Canadian open source community upset over proposed copyright law

,----[ Quote ]
| The Government of Canada has angered those who believe that a proposed
| copyright law threatens the country's open source business model.
|
| Russell McOrmond, a member of the Canadian Software Innovation Alliance
| (CSIA), says that Bill C-61, the proposed copyright legislation unveiled by
| the government last month, ignores just about every recommendation made by
| CSIA, a coalition of open source businesses and supporters, in a white
| paper...
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/141384

The future of books

,----[ Quote ]
| The BookCamp will be a wonderful chance to discuss next generation textbooks,
| print-on-demand, ebook readers, why DRM (better known as Digital Restrictions
| Management) is bad and many other topics.
|
| Richard Stalmann, President of the Free Software Foundation, will deliver a
| speech (via phone) with a quite straight title: “Fighting the Swindle of DRM
| on E-Books”.
`----

http://www.clipperz.com/user

RIAA Hopes New Judge will Nab Sharers

,----[ Quote ]
| Rather that directing the lawsuit at the same defendants as before, the RIAA
| directed it at John Doe (a defendant to be identified later), therefore
| obtaining a new judge ... who may not be so strict about the "making
| available" clauses.
|
| Nice move, RIAA.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007114.html

Canada Warming Up Its Own DMCA

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill C-61 is essentially a series of amendments to the Copyright Act that
| would ratify the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Copyright
| Treaty, which the DMCA did for the USA in 1996.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007113.html

Canada moots tough sanctions for DRM flouters

,----[ Quote ]
| The Canadian government today unveiled a controversial proposal to update the
| country's copyright laws.
|
| [...]
|
| It's a somewhat confusing solution that government officials behind the bill
| call a "balanced approach to truly benefit Canadians".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/12/canada_copyright_reform_june_2008/

Red Hat founder speaks against Canada's copyright reform

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/06/06/red-hat-founder-speaks-against-canadas-copyright-reform

`----