[News] GNU/Linux Installation Tips (What Not to Do)

10 common mistakes to avoid when you’re installing Linux software

,----[ Quote ]
| Installing software in Linux is nothing like it used to be, but there are
| still some pitfalls to watch out for. If you follow this little guide, your
| Linux life will be made simpler and safer.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=338

Video: Common mistakes to avoid when you’re installing Linux software

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of Ubuntu and other user-friendly distributions has bolstered
| Linux’s popularity among IT pros and end-users alike. Yet Linux neophytes can
| still stumble over common tasks, like installing new software. In this IT
| Dojo video, I discuss common mistakes people make when they’re trying to add
| new Linux software. I also give you tips to make the installation process a
| bit easier.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/itdojo/?p=166

Recent:

Linux is easier to install than XP

,----[ Quote ]
| Mint, on the other hand, let me point out, had no trouble with any of my
| hardware. Thus Ubuntu-based Linux recognized the equipment, it set it up and
| let me get to work. It was Windows that proved to be a pain in the rump.
|
| Greg Kroah-Hartman, a prominent Linux developer, is right. Linux Journal
| recently reported that he recently told an audience at the Ottawa Linux
| Symposium that “Linux supports more different types of devices than any other
| operating system ever has in the history of computing.”
|
| Linux isn’t perfect that way, as Kroah-Hartman would be the first to admit.
| Based on what I experienced, though, Linux is much better than Windows at
| supporting modern hardware.
|
| We have this illusion, that’s just because Windows works on the systems it
| comes pre-installed on, that Windows has great built-in driver support. No,
| it doesn’t. Once you move to installing Windows on a new system, you’ll
| quickly find that Linux, not Windows, has the better built-in hardware
| support.
|
| Yes, that’s right. Linux, not Windows, is easier to install on a new PC. Just
| something to think about as you get ready to strip Vista off your new
| computer.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/infrastructure/linux-is-easier-to-install-than-xp/

Installing a modern Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| A modern Linux install should take no more than forty-five minutes for the
| initial install and maybe an hours worth of tweaking to get the missing bits
| running the way the user wants this may take longer with more complected
| setups like using ATI or NVIDIA cards with Compiz.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=393

Ubuntu 8.04 beta: an agile upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest build of everyone's favorite open source desktop OS features
| better performance, Active Directory integration, and seamless installation
| from Windows
|
| [...]
|

| If this first taste is any indication, however, Ubuntu 8.04 is shaping up to
| be a worthy upgrade for existing users and a good jumping-on point for new
| ones. Wubi, in particular, makes it ideal for anyone who has hesitated to
| give Linux a try before now. Look for the final version to be available in
| April.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/24/13TC-ubuntu-beta_1.html

Mrs Red Devil Installs Ubuntu 8.04

,----[ Quote ]
| [Comment:]
|
| Very nice story.
|
| Why don't you give a XP OEM CD and ask her to do the same thing with the so
| acclaimed XP?
| Isn't 'Windows is easy, Linux is for Geeks' a familiar phrase?
|
| I once had to help out a friend of mine - his XP was once again broken - and
| when he saw my PCLinuxOS CD he stated 'No Linux on my box. That is to
| difficult'.
| As his XP was truly broken and he wanted a clean install anyhow, I played it
| cheeky and urged him to install his XP OEM all by himself. He said he'd never
| done that, but was willing to give it a go.
|
| Once he started, he was stuck the first time with the partitioner. I helped
| him out. After 30+ minutes he was able to boot his XP for the first
| time. 'See it is not difficult' he told me with a big gin, but once XP was
| booted he lost his smile. XP booted without audio, in a meager 800x600
| resolution and without any software. He was taken aback and asked me what to
| do next. I told him to start installing a video driver first. After searching
| for a minutes he found the driver CD, popped it in but it needed Framework
| 1.1. So he had to figure out how to set-up his internet access, do a Windows
| update - BTW, he didn't have a virus scanner running, and used only the
| default XP firewall. After I don't know how many minutes he had to reboot
| (not for the last time) and got his correct resolution. We had to do the same
| for the printer, the audio, ... all those reboots :-(
|
| Then he realized that his Office was gone, his Photoshop was nowhere to be
| found. It took him more than 3 hours to install and configure his XP.
|
| After that, I asked him to try PCLinuxOS. After not more than 25 minutes he
| was up and running, all hardware working out of the box, and found all the
| software he could think of. Those missing could easily be added. He was
| impressed.
| 'Why do you think MS sells PC's with XP pre-installed' I told him. 'Because
| installing it yourself would scare you away from XP' he answered me.
|
| Yes, Linux has come a long way, and all the top distros are much easier to
| set up than anything you buy from MS.
|
| I hope your wife enjoys her new environment and she is lucky to have such a
| good teacher :-p
`----

http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2008/05/mrs-red-devil-installs-ubuntu-804.html

Related:

Vista Ultimate vs. Ubuntu 7.04 - Which Install Is Easier?

,----[ Quote ]
| So less than 3 hours into this experiment, I have both Vista and Ubuntu
| installed and patched. Both systems are stable, more or less, but both
| systems have quirks. Neither system worked perfectly, but much to my surprise
| the Ubuntu system worked better, (once I got the keyboard working). More
| hardware worked without needing to download additional drivers. More over,
| there is moreover, the desktop that I do have is more functional -
| applications like GIMP, Open Office, and a slew of multi-media apps are far
| more useful than Wordpad, Paint and the slew of crap that Vista comes with.
`----

http://scitech.teambio.org/2007/08/14/vista-ultimate-vs-ubuntu-704-which-install-is-easier/

Linux is not only better than windows, it is also easier to install and
maintain

,----[ Quote ]
| This post inspired me to write this comparison, side by side, specially
| where it says, that windows users says that "Linux is hard to install", so I
| wanted to test it.
`----

http://www.go2linux.org/why-linux-is-easier-than-windows

Linux is Easier to Install than Windows!

,----[ Quote ]
| A brief, but honest description of why Linux is better than Windows!
`----

http://www.utopiatheory.com/index.php?id=11

[Installing Linux from Windows] Wubi Review

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, this tool is certainly one of the easiest ways of letting
| people try Ubuntu without removing Windows or having to partition their hard
| drive for a dual-boot.  I have enjoyed this tool, and although it is still in
| beta, it works very well and is very stable.  So, if you are running a
| computer with Windows and want to give Ubuntu a try, then this is the
| solution for you.
`----

http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2007/07/wubi-review.html

Installing Ubuntu, a world without Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| The "Welcome" page will start. I chose English and then I clicked the forward
| button. On the Time Zone page, you click a city on the map. I clicked St
| John's, the city listed for the Newfoundland Time Zone. Click forward again.
| I picked US English keyboard and clicked forward for the third time.
|
| Now, the partition wizard starts up. Choose one of the guided installs. You
| will usually have more than one choice here and they depend on your
| particular machine. You may be able to resize your existing partition to only
| use the available space on it, or you can choose to use the full hard drive
| for Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.gulfnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=100109&sc=343

Ubuntu 1, Windows 0

,----[ Quote ]
| I installed Ubuntu on the Toshiba laptop. Ubuntu installed in 15 minutes - 49
| for Windows XP and 125 for Windows Vista. Ubuntu's desktop came right up. I
| opened the pre-installed Firefox browser and found I could browse the Web
| immediately. Ubuntu installed a network adaptor for the Toshiba laptop.
|
| I shake my head at this Windows foolishness!
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/458943_p.htm

The day of the Linux desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea here is that this is something almost anyone can do, almost anywhere
| in the world, without any central organization or, indeed, any organization
| at all. This is not Linux World or Linux Continent or Linux Country or Linux
| State or even Linux City or Linux Village. And it's not a year, a month, or
| even a week. It's just one day.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/120727

Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows - 40 Minutes
|
| [...]
|
| Linux - 2 Minutes
|
| While I was waiting for the first round of software to install on Windows, I
| turned to my laptop running Ubuntu to see if I could get it setup to print as
| well. I launched the printing configuration tool. Clicked on "New Printer".
| Typed in the IP address I had assigned to the printer and selected the model
| number.
`----

http://www.thesourceshow.org/node/69

How To Install Gutsy Gibbon - A 21 Step Guide For Technical Support

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.fsckin.com/2007/09/28/how-to-install-gutsy-gibbon-a-21-step-guide-for-technical-support/