[News] VoIP Free Software Takes the Industry by Storm

Realizing the Promise of UC with Open Source

| RT: What is one surprising thing we will see in the market during the next 18
| months?
|
| Miller: A major vendor will collapse, driving proprietary vendors to start
| opening their hardware and software platforms for better integration with the
| open-source world.
`----

http://asterisk.tmcnet.com/topics/open-source/articles/37805-realizing-promise-uc-with-open-source.htm

Digium: UC and Web 2.0 Creating Open Source Opportunities in SMB Market

,----[ Quote ]
| RT: Why should customers choose Digium’s solutions?
|
| Miller: Digium's commercial solutions are innovative, forward thinking, easy
| to use, feature rich and powerful, all while remaining more affordable than
| any of the traditional vendors. We have solutions that fit every budget: our
| open source background guarantees we won't lock you in, our expanding network
| of business partners can provide global service and solutions, and our
| technology
`----

http://asterisk.tmcnet.com/topics/asterisk/articles/37804-digium-uc-web-20-creating-open-source-opportunities.htm

Interview: Mumble Does OSS VoIP Chats for Online Games

| Voice chats have emerged as integral parts of many online games in recent
| years--part of the social gaming trend--and VoIP solutions such as Teamspeak
| have been created in response. Mumble is an open source project that has
| gained an audience in this arena for the low-latency game chatting it
| facilitates.
|
| [...]
|
| OStatic:  How would you say Mumble benefits from being open source?
|
| Thorvald Natvig: Without being open source, it would be much harder to get
| code contributed to the project.
`----

http://ostatic.com/171269-blog/interview-mumble-does-oss-voip-chats-for-online-games

Recent:

The Impact of Open Source VoIP

,----[ Quote ]
| The second part of the story of the impact of Open Source VoIP to the whole
| telecom market is made of softphones and stacks. Ekiga (formerly known as
| GnomeMeeting), Linphone or PhoneGaim, just to name some, have been a great
| source of knowledge for new entrant developers in this field and a great way
| for providers to offer a cheap way to make phone calls from your PC.
`----

http://www.lucafiligheddu.com/2008/07/the-impact-of-open-source-voip.html

Related:

Asterisk is More Than Just a Phone System

,----[ Quote ]
| Personally, I can think of about 25 things (don’t worry I am not competing)
| that I have heard people do with Asterisk and as the visibility and viability
| of open source communications continues to grow, more and more applications
| and uses are coming out each and every day. In a effort to have a little fun
| and to catalog the many uses and applications of Asterisk, VoIP Supply has
| partnered with Digium, the creators of Asterisk, to run a contest here on the
| VoIP Insider to find 101 things you can do with Asterisk.
`----

http://blog.voipsupply.com/asterisk-news/101-things-you-can-do-with-asterisk

Linux dominating VoIP devices?

,----[ Quote ]