[News] Disease Surveillance System Becomes Free Software

TriSano Project Annoucement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is an exciting day for the TriSano team & Collaborative Software
| Initiative.
|
| From the project annoucement:
|
| Collaborative Software Initiative today announces the launch of the TriSano
| application and community. TriSano is an open source, citizen-focused
| infectious disease surveillance system that allows local, state and federal
| entities to collaborate for the good of public health.
|
| With TriSano, the Collaborative Software Initiative provides a forum in which
| subject matter experts (i.e., doctors, nurses and epidemiologists) and
| software developers work together to facilitate the cre-ation of
| citizen-centric public health applications. This innovation ensures
| application features meet the specific requirements of each jurisdiction,
| allowing public health employees to achieve the goal of protecting lives.
`----

http://fuzzypanic.blogspot.com/2008/08/trisano-project-annoucement.html

Recent:

The new Brazilian Internet surveillance  12

,----[ Quote ]
| The ISP is turned into a surveillance apparatus, and is mandate to inform the
| authorities about any of the crimes the Law deals with, as states article 22.
|
| Here I am writing today to tell something that might not be known outside
| Brazil – at least, I haven’t read much in English about it – the attempt to
| turn the Internet into a government surveillance device.
`----

http://www.nardol.org/2008/7/18/the-new-brazilian-internet-surveillance

Those privacy-hating Chinese communist tyrants

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea that the U.S. can exert meaningful leverage on China's surveillance
| behavior is laughable for reasons wholly independent of what the U.S.
| Government itself does with regard to spying on its own citizens.
| Nonetheless, to watch U.S. Senators like Sam Brownback actually maintain a
| straight face while protesting China's warrantless spying on the email and
| telephone communications of foreigners, and lamenting that private companies
| feel unfairly pressured to cooperate with China's government spying out of
| fear of losing lucrative business opportunities, is so surreal that it's
| actually hard to believe one is seeing it.
`----

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/07/30/china/index.html

Keeping Your E-Mail Safe from Prying Eyes

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://business.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=13200CUXQV6O