Re: [News] Beautiful Plasma Themes, New KDE4 Menu Demo

"The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:t8q0o5-80i.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Martha Adams
<mhada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote
on Thu, 21 Aug 2008 02:18:50 GMT
<eg4rk.413$UX.383@trnddc03>:
"The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:0aoun5-mc6.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
<brick_n_straw@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote
on Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:17:21 -0400
<1huxikmphxl92.79fjf1o464h7$.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:55:01 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

10 Most Beautiful Plasma Themes for KDE 4 Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest series of the K Desktop Environment now utilizes Plasma,
a new
| desktop and panel user interface tool that aims for a more
functional,
| user-friendly, and sleek KDE desktop. Plasma also supports
Dashboard-like
| widgets called plasmoids.

Coyote ugly!

Yuck....

http://darrylhourglass.blogspot.com/2008/04/beauty-of-windows-vista.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9969231-16.html

You want pictures?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/home-premium.aspx

has pictures.  While the graphics are pretty enough, the actual
windows are rather bland, and the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X"
DirectX10 demo is shown in all of its glory.  A blog entry
explains this controversy in more detail:

http://www.flightsimulationguru.com/site/2008/02/18/directx-10-in-microsoft-flight-simulator-fsx-â?"-amazing-graphics-or-a-load-of-hot-air/

I'm not sure Plasma does much for me either, though the
stickynote capability is mildly interesting.  The interface
does look highly themable, a plus.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };

=================================

Plasma nor much else of recent origin does much for me.
I would like to see an interface very like a CLI, but
with unobtrusive improvements thrown in that don't
interfere with its basically sparse environment.

Thirty years ago I was working in a unix system and
in MIT's ITS.  None of the elaboration I've seen since
was any improvement on that.  OK on the purty pitchers
and all, but I'd like that *basic relevant usefulness
back*.

Titeotwawki -- mha  [cola 2008 Aug 20]

I have seen some improvements in CLI -- mostly minor stuff.
The most obvious one might be the tab/double-tab filename
completion.  Also, '!' is now parsed in Bash scripting, an
extension from csh imported thereinto, presumably, and Bash
understands constructs such as *.{c,h,cxx}.  One can also
edit command lines and access history through the arrow keys.

These are the ones coming to mind.

I don't think Microsoft's Powershell is all that innovative
though a reasonably common library for passing objects
around would be nice.  Best I can do there is Castor,
a Java package.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #110309238:
item * f(item *p) { if(p = NULL) return new item; else return p; }

OK on that, Ghost, but my point was a little different.
I tried a PCLinuxOS recently.  It offered the conventional
gooeys just as if that was all there was.  Well, that's
what some people want, it's not entirely wrong.  *But.*

But the CLI in it was a small squashed-up thing, nearly
useless.  Further, no emacs was directly accessible (it
was in there somewhere, if you knew how to get it up).
So the PCLinuxOS, which gets lots of comment about how
great it is, scores a D- in my book, but also, it
illustrates current trends in what's fashionable these
days.

Which is a point in itself: Linux these days seems to
be concerned with what's fashionable and the current
rage seems to be plasma screens.  Are all the people
gone now who are *working* in Linux and unix and all?
Is there no longer any use (or awareness) of sparse
screens appropriate for the fast hard work that used
to be the norm?  ??

"Today Is The End Of The World As We Know It."

I.e, Titeotwawki -- mha  [cola 2008 Aug 21]