Re: [News] Beautiful Plasma Themes, New KDE4 Menu Demo

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Martha Adams
<mhada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 21 Aug 2008 02:18:50 GMT
<eg4rk.413$UX.383@trnddc03>:
> "The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
> message news:0aoun5-mc6.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
>> <brick_n_straw@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote
>> on Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:17:21 -0400
>> <1huxikmphxl92.79fjf1o464h7$.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Coyote ugly!
>>>
>>> Yuck....
>>>

>> http://darrylhourglass.blogspot.com/2008/04/beauty-of-windows-vista.html
>>
>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9969231-16.html
>>
>> You want pictures?
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/home-premium.aspx
>>
>> has pictures.  While the graphics are pretty enough, the actual
>> windows are rather bland, and the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X"
>> DirectX10 demo is shown in all of its glory.  A blog entry
>> explains this controversy in more detail:
>>
>> http://www.flightsimulationguru.com/site/2008/02/18/directx-10-in-microsoft-flight-simulator-fsx-â?"-amazing-graphics-or-a-load-of-hot-air/
>>
>> I'm not sure Plasma does much for me either, though the
>> stickynote capability is mildly interesting.  The interface
>> does look highly themable, a plus.
>>
>> --
>> #191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
>> class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };
>
>=================================
>
> Plasma nor much else of recent origin does much for me.
> I would like to see an interface very like a CLI, but
> with unobtrusive improvements thrown in that don't
> interfere with its basically sparse environment.
>
> Thirty years ago I was working in a unix system and
> in MIT's ITS.  None of the elaboration I've seen since
> was any improvement on that.  OK on the purty pitchers
> and all, but I'd like that *basic relevant usefulness
> back*.
>
> Titeotwawki -- mha  [cola 2008 Aug 20]

I have seen some improvements in CLI -- mostly minor stuff.
The most obvious one might be the tab/double-tab filename
completion.  Also, '!' is now parsed in Bash scripting, an
extension from csh imported thereinto, presumably, and Bash
understands constructs such as *.{c,h,cxx}.  One can also
edit command lines and access history through the arrow keys.

These are the ones coming to mind.

I don't think Microsoft's Powershell is all that innovative
though a reasonably common library for passing objects
around would be nice.  Best I can do there is Castor,
a Java package.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #110309238:
item * f(item *p) { if(p = NULL) return new item; else return p; }