[News] [Rival] Richard Stallman: "Microsoft Corrupts the ISO"

20 August 2008 (Microsoft corrupts the ISO)

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft consummated its corruption of the International Standards
| Organization, which dismissed an appeal by several countries against the
| approval of OOXML.
|
| However, I think the EU's criminal investigation of this corruption is still
| live. (Is it?)
`----

http://www.stallman.org/archives/2008-may-aug.html#20%20August%202008%20%28Microsoft%20corrupts%20the%20ISO%29

"Microsoft corrupted many members of ISO in order to win approval for its
phony ‘open’ document format, OOXML. This was so governments that keep their
documents in a Microsoft-only format can pretend that they are using ‘open
standards.’ The government of South Africa has filed an appeal against the
decision, citing the irregularities in the process."

                        --Richard Stallman, June 2008

Recent:

ISO's Day of Shame

,----[ Quote ]
| Riiiight: so there was insufficient support among the technical boards for
| their dirty laundry to be aired in public. What a surprise. The fact that
| standards bodies representing the second- and fourth-most populous countries
| in the world were unhappy with the way the standardisation process was
| carried out doesn't matter, apparently.
|
| Time for a new international standards body, methinks....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/08/isos-day-of-shame.html
.

Detailed IEC Voting Results on OOXML Appeals

,----[ Quote ]
| As I reported yesterday, the OOXML appeals brought by Brazil, India, South
| Africa and Venezuela have been rejected by the Technical Management Board
| (TMB) and Standardization Management Board (SMB) of ISO and IEC,
| respectively.  I have now received the actual voting results for the IEC
| vote, and an indecipherable screenshot of the ISO votes.  I'll hope to add
| the ISO votes later on when I get more comprehensible information, but in the
| meantime, here are the IEC results.
|
| In each case, the questions included in the ballot were the same:
|
|     a) Not to process the appeal any further
|
|     b) To process one or more of the appeals, which would require setting up
|     of a conciliation panel
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20080816081402686

UPDATE - Countries may follow South Africa in appealing Microsoft-sponsored
OOXML standard: ISO

,----[ Quote ]
| According to ISO spokesman Roger Frost, "Because the period for receipt of
| appeals remains open until the end of May, ISO will communicate on the next
| steps in early June, when it knows whether any other national bodies are
| appealing."
`----

http://www.itvendorsdirectory.ca/Online-Resources/microsoft-ooxml-iso-standard-appeal-south-africa-001.html

South Africa appeals against OOXML, call your Standards Body now!

,----[ Quote ]
| The South African Standards Body SABS have lodged an appeal at ISO against
| the awful fast-track process of DIS29500, or Microsoft Office OpenXML. Please
| call your national Standards Body and ask them to support this complain. You
| have only 7 days because the deadline is 30 May, 2 months after the ISO vote.
|
| Steve Pepper, being so disgused about the intervention of a Norwegian
| bureaucrat reverting the decision of the Norwegian Technical Committee, is
| pointing at the fact that this person is also member of the ISO Technical
| Management Board (TMB), who will decide on the future of this appeal. I hope
| we will have some transparency on who is deciding what inside ISO on this
| appeal. It is time for ISO to clean up its stables, they have not been
| cleaned for several years, and they are getting dirty and smelly.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-61468/south-africa-appeals-against-ooxml-call-your-standards-body-now

The South Africa Bureau of Standards submits an official appeal to ISO and IEC
against OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| At least one National Body has submitted a formal complaint to ISO and IEC.
| South Africa was rather vocal about the Fast Tracking process of OOXML from
| day one.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/05/the-south-afric.html

ISO Fantasy

,----[ Quote ]
| What OOXML Is · The ISO process, brutal and corrupt as it was, has been
| covered to death by everyone. Its output, soon to be known as ISO/IEC 29500,
| differs from ECMA-376 in two ways. ¶
|
| [...]
|
| What Microsoft really wanted was that ISO stamp of approval to use as a
| marketing tool. And just like your mother told you, when they get what they
| want and have their way with you, they’re probably not gonna call you in the
| morning.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/04/15/OOXML

Computer experts stage street protest in Oslo against Microsoft document format
as standard

,----[ Quote ]
| OSLO, Norway: Roughly 60 data experts staged a rare and noisy street
| demonstration in downtown Oslo on Wednesday to protest the adoption of
| Microsoft Corp.'s document format as an international standard and against
| Norway voting for the move.
|
| [...]
|
| He claimed the committee ignored the advice of the vast majority of the
| Nordic nation's software experts, was pressured by Microsoft and
| displayed "scandalous behavior."
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/09/business/EU-TEC-Norway-Digital-Demonstration.php

OOXML triggers demonstration in Norway: "Let's throw OOXML out of ISO"

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-52412/ooxml-triggers-demonstration-in-norway:let-s-throw-ooxml-out-of-iso

Demonstration outside ISO conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Pepper, the former Chairman of the Norwegian committee responsible for
| deciding the Norwegian vote on OOXML, is calling for a demonstration to take
| place outside the building where SC34, the ISO committee that has been landed
| with OOXML, is holding its spring plenary.
|
| The demonstration will take place outside Håndverkeren, Rosenkrantzgate 7,
| Oslo, Norway, on Wednesday April 9 at 12.00. Among the slogans are:
|
| * No to ISO approval of OOXML!
| * Defend the integrity of ISO!
| * Microsoft: Support ODF!
| * Ecma: Withdraw OOXML!
| * Norway must say no to OOXML!
`----

http://blogs.freecode.no/isene/2008/04/07/demonstration-outside-iso-conference/

Shenanigans Alleged on Road to OOXML Vote

,----[ Quote ]