[News] A Call for Schools to Teach Only Free Software

A Quantum of FOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| Therefore, I believe it is important for every parent and taxpayer to contact
| their school district’s superintendent and/or IT department and voice their
| frustration over the money spent on a fairly useless education tool like MS
| Office when entirely sufficient free replacements exist. Parents and
| taxpayers need to make it known that wasting public funds in this way is not
| appropriate and may very well impact their votes on future funding efforts
| like bonds and mill levies. The problem is that most people do not know there
| are free alternatives nor do they understand the relative uselessness of
| office productivity software in education. Those of us who do need to take
| the lead in our communities and get this conversation started. I recently did
| this and I encourage others to do this as well. The more a superintendent
| hears this, the more likely they will be to put pressure on IT departments to
| justify their spending and hopefully bring about a move to more Free Software
| and important savings as well.
`----

http://ubuntukids.org/blog/?p=148

Recent:

Outsourcing, Open Source and Budget Cuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, although enterprise, license-based learning management platforms
| continue to dominate the higher education landscape (56.8 percent use
| Blackboard, down from 66.3 percent last year), the potential for increasing
| open source adoption remains.
`----

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/10/29/computing

Open Source Making the Grade in Higher Education

,----[ Quote ]
| Burgeoning success for open source eLearning and a string of major university
| wins for a commercial vendor point to a trend.
|
| Open source and higher education have a long and storied history. After all,
| BSD Unix originally came from the University of California at Berkeley, and
| Linux itself was created while Linus Torvalds was a student at the University
| of Helsinki.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3749716/Open+Source+Making+the+Grade+in+Higher+Education.htm
http://tinyurl.com/59t7jv

Chennai firm to sign pact with Anna University

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/common/news_article.php?leftnm=8&subLeft=1&chklogin=N&autono=322409&tab=r