Re: [News] Fallacy of GNU/Linux Being 'Hard'

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:02:58 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> William Poaster wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 20:57:53 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
>>>   this bit o' wisdom:

>>> And they shouldn't have to.  They should be able to go into the store
>>> and have a *choice*.
>>
>> OTOH the fact is that Ubuntu *asks* if you want to load the nVIDIA
>> drivers via the Restricted Drivers Manager. It will then fetch & install
>> the nVIDIA module, & *because* it's a new kernel, it will ask you to
>> reboot.
>>
>> Now what was the troll saying about having to go to nVIDIA?
>>

> Well, "Ezekiel" is a windows user. That is, he is clueless.
>
> *If* he would use Ubuntu as he claims (just as believeable as Hadron
> Quarks claims, that is, not at all), he would by now know about the
> Restricted Drivers Manager. After all, his fellow wintroll Hadron Quark
> stumbled on that one also, as he did not "remember" about it and claimed
> the same bullshit about the "difficulties" with video drivers

Indeed, & here is that post he made;
<quote>
....getting high performance Video cards working is a damn sight
easier on XP because the installers are better.
Debian/Ubuntu are a pain in the hole  - you need to recompile the latest
NVidia drivers using a set version of the compiler, for example, when
changing kernels.
<unquote>

As you say, when a few people in aolu told him that was crap, & what about
Restricted Drivers Manager or even using "Envy", he blustered:

<quote>
You're right. I forgot about the restricted driver manager now. It is a
BIG improvement.
<unquote>

Uh, yeah, riiiight. Like anyone who has used Ubuntu & who wanted to
install the proprietary nVIDIA drivers would forget that.

Envy can be used with Debian too.

> OpenSuse btw is similarly easy with the nvidia drivers. You just tell Yast
> to add the nvidia repo, and from that point on the drivers are updated
> automatically when a new kernel is installed

Yes, I installed OpenSuSE 11 on another machine to try it. After adding a
couple of repos, nVIDIA was one, it simply downloaded & installed it.
What a breeze!

--
Most people are sheep.
Microsoft is very effective