Re: [News] Fallacy of GNU/Linux Being 'Hard'

William Poaster wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 20:57:53 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
>>   this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> "JEDIDIAH" <jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Would you consider installing a video driver that works to be one of
>>> these mundane requirements. I installed Ubuntu (dual boot) last
>>> weekend. I have a fairly new NVidia graphics card and it was S.L.O.W
>>> with the default driver. So I go to NVidia to download the latest Linux
>>> driver.
>>>
>>> I'll tell you right now that 99.5% of the 'general public' would have
>>> ZERO chance of getting this to work:
>>
>> And they shouldn't have to.  They should be able to go into the store
>> and have a *choice*.
>
> OTOH the fact is that Ubuntu *asks* if you want to load the nVIDIA
> drivers via the Restricted Drivers Manager. It will then fetch & install
> the nVIDIA module, & *because* it's a new kernel, it will ask you to
> reboot.
>
> Now what was the troll saying about having to go to nVIDIA?

Well, "Ezekiel" is a windows user. That is, he is clueless.

*If* he would use Ubuntu as he claims (just as believeable as Hadron Quarks
claims, that is, not at all), he would by now know about the Restricted
Drivers Manager. After all, his fellow wintroll Hadron Quark stumbled on
that one also, as he did not "remember" about it and claimed the same
bullshit about the "difficulties" with video drivers

OpenSuse btw is similarly easy with the nvidia drivers. You just tell Yast
to add the nvidia repo, and from that point on the drivers are updated
automatically when a new kernel is installed

--
Microsoft? Is that some kind of a toilet paper?