[News] GNU/Linux is Killing Microsoft's Margins, Profits

Amid Cannibalization Woes, Netbooks Eat Into Microsoft Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| But most netbooks have less processing power than their full-featured cousins
| and can't run high-spec versions of Microsoft's Windows, the world's
| most-widely used operating system. Instead, the Redmond, Wash.-based software
| company is selling netbook makers lighter versions of its operating system at
| a cheaper price. Worse, some manufacturers are choosing to cut Microsoft out
| altogether by using Linux, an open-source OS.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200812051742DOWJONESDJONLINE000966_FORTUNE5.htm

Good OS founder: 'Cloud' on netbooks to be shown at CES

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet Cloud OS, the new OS to be shown at CES, also offers the ability to load
| into either Linux or Windows XP without the need for manual reboot. Users can
| switch from the browser environment to either Linux or XP -- or just power
| off -- with a single click.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Good_OS_founder_Cloud_on_netbooks_to_be_shown_at_CES/1228516356

gOS Cloud instant-on OS shown on video

,----[ Quote ]
| Good OS' latest operating system was just announced this week, but already
| some cool cat with a video camera and some serious credentials has managed to
| record a sneak peek. Quite honestly, the instant-on gOS Cloud system isn't
| all that amazing to watch tick, but if you're looking for a brief glimpse at
| what's apt to be fleshed out at CES, head on south of the break.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/04/gos-cloud-instant-on-os-shown-on-video/

Related:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Recent:

Linux Carried Along on Netbooks Wave

,----[ Quote ]
| Morvay revealed to Linux Magazine Online that there were no specific figures
| for Linux netbook sales, but that it lay somewhere in the 40th percentile.
| Even though this figure seems a little high, it is known that many of the
| world's netbooks have Linux on board since their first inception 18 months
| ago.
|
| For example, notebooks with Linux make up about 5.5% of the notebook market
| in Germany...
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/linux_carried_along_on_netbooks_wave

End Runs Around Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, the sources say employees in HP's PC division are exploring the
| possibility of building a mass-market operating system. HP's software would
| be based on Linux, the open-source operating system that is already widely
| available, but it would be simpler and easier for mainstream users, the
| sources say.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_38/b4100084242512.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_best+of+the+magazine

HP's 'End Run' Around Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| As Hewlett-Packard steps up efforts to make Microsoft's operating system
| easier to use, some want to devise a rival version with Linux
|
| [...]
|
| Others in HP's PC division are exploring the possibility of building an HP
| operating system for mainstream desktop and notebook computers based on the
| open-source Linux system, which competes with Windows, say people familiar
| with the company's plans. The goals may be to make HP less dependent on new
| releases of Windows, and to strengthen HP's hand against Apple (AAPL), which
| has gained market share with computers that boast innovative features and
| inspire a loyal following of users.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2008/tc2008095_077474.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_news+%2B+analysis

Mainstream media writes Windows obit

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, a tough day for Windows.
|
| BusinessWeek reports that HP, the world’s biggest PC company, is so troubled
| by Vista’s ‘tepid reception’ and Apple’s resurgence that it is developing its
| own operating system. Meanwhile a New York Times columnist writes on his blog
| that Windows is “already dying a death by a thousand cuts.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=219

Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]